Cover Question

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
OK.....

No laughing, I know this maybe a stupid question, but here it is.
I see the difference between the TO4E cover and the TO4S cover. I also see that the TO4S cover will work on a TE60 turbo. So my question is what changes would need to be made to a stock TE60 to make the TO4S cover work? What would the performance increase be and would a ballpark cost be to make this change? Would it be cost prohibitive considering all the new turbos on the market?

This turbo is for my son's car and I don't think going to too big of a turbo for the street is going to improve the car's performance. You can only put so much power to the road and you can only run so much boost....:confused:

Best to call PTE direct, and ask to speak to Jim.
He could tell you exactly what's envolved, but if I remember correctly, you will need a new backing plate with hardware, TO4S compressor cover, new wastegate actuator with correct adaptor bracket and I'm not sure if anything internally will have to be changed or not. Basically, you are taking a 6031E and making it into a 6031S. That's PTE speak.
HP wise, you might pick up 5-10 hp at most. Honestly, it would not be worth the extra cost for that little bit of gain.
It might be more cost effective to send it to see how much credit they would give you towards an upgrade turbo, such as the 6162.
HTH

Patrick

Thanks...

That's kinda what I thought as far as being cost prohibitive. The HP gains alone would need to increase a bit more than that to even consider it.

It was something we had talked about. Thinking with 3" ic tubes and a 65mm tb a larger cover may make a bigger difference. You are probably right, it may be time to consider one of the newer turbos