Could it be my Heater Core or????

1BADT

TurboHolic
For the past few weeks all my windows inside my car will fog up within minutes of starting my car with the heater on. I dont see any coolant leaks inside or out of the car. If my heater core was bad wouldnt it be leaking somwhere? I can kind of smell a very faint odor of coolant but I just dont see any leaks!!! Also, could the heater control valve not be working properly and cause problems like this? The heat in the car works great otherwise it blows nice and hot air. I am clueless to what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused: ;) ;) ;)

Yes, I think it would be your heater core. Typically, a bad one will fog the windows. If you rub the inside of the windshield with a rag, I bet it comes off really black.

My theory is that the core has a hole on top, and you're getting the steam from coolant boiling off, before it drips. Had the exact thing happen on an old pickup I had. It didn't leak visibly, either. I think it depends on how big, and location of the hole in the core. The fogged windows is what tips me off though.

Probably bad news...sorry.

My heater core just went out a month ago. I had smoke coming out of the dash. I am not a DIY'er with cars, so it cost me $220(51.51 for core, 150 labor, $7 coolant, plus taxes).

I replaced mine a few weeks ago and it was very easy. Only took a couple hours to do it correctly. I did notice that once I was finished the heater control vavle was leaking, too. One call to Kirban's solved that problem. He was cheaper than the dealer on the valve and all 4 hoses. Just take your time because you don't want to damage the blower motor housing.(Whatever it's called)

Thanks for the quick replies!!! Off I go to tear things apart, wish me luck, see ya... JASON

Mines leaking too. :(

I went with a can of Prestone Super Stop leak for now, hasn't totally worked yet. :rolleyes:

I keep the windex and rags nearby but I think it's gonna seal up soon.

Never shoulda bypassed the thing this summer, and dried it out, trying to get cooler A/C. :rolleyes: