Cost To Machine 109?????

95' regal gs

Anybody have a ballpark figure on the cost to machine a 109 block for the works? I would like to do a stroker with billet caps, girdle ect..... I'm shooting for mid 9's, would I be better off to wait for the new Champion Stage? This project is still a year or to off so I've got time to save the serious coin the new stage is sure to cost. Opinions please..... Thanks

Yeah, $1500 to $1800 is around what I guessed. Mabey I'd be better off to just spend the extra grand and have a block that's bullet proof. No machining required.

At least $2k. Just the machine work. Thats with a girdle and steel crank. and every other expensive machining process it will need to be a solid 9 second engine. The crank will more than likely require work if its an overseas forging. Id use a S2 block if you plan on running many 9 second passes at full weight. Not worth it with a stock block imo.

Anybody have a ballpark figure on the cost to machine a 109 block for the works? I would like to do a stroker with billet caps, girdle ect..... I'm shooting for mid 9's, would I be better off to wait for the new Champion Stage? This project is still a year or to off so I've got time to save the serious coin the new stage is sure to cost. Opinions please..... Thanks

I guess I'm guilty of this too, no one reads the whole post. When I said "no machining required" I was speaking of the NEW (read it NEW!) Champion Stage II block which is supposed to come out sometime next year. Obviously I'm not suggesting that a used block could be utilized in a performance applicaton without extensive machine work. I'm talkin' NEW here people, which one could assume (being that its a performance oriented aftermarket piece) would require little, if any, machine work. Certainly nothing major. Hope that clears things up, I'm not a complete idiot (at least that's what my mommy said):biggrin:

I would not put much faith in that "NEW" block from champion not needing any machine work to be ready to assemble and run. When and if it ever becomes available.

No I read it right... I understood exactly what you were saying.. In regards to the new Champ block. Or anyone's new block for that matter......(gotta stay neutral)....:biggrin:

It seams as you are the one not quite getting the picture.
See just because it is a new block, does not mean it will not require the same or even more amount of machine time.

But wish you luck.

Well, as I said, little if any. It is certainly possible that it would need some, but definetly not 2k worth. You guys must know something I don't. If I'm really being that níeve please do tell, I want opinions from guys who have been there done that. That's why I posted here. Even if it did need machining it would no doubt be much stronger that a 109. Don't you think? A new block should not need such things as boring (mabey honing), decking, align boring, lifter boring, sonic and pressure checking, magnafluxing..... Those things alone cost a ton. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Constructive criticism always welcome, but if I don't agree don't take it personally, I won't.

Yes, On this we agree.

I would love to see some out myself. You never know when a idea might strike..

FYI, Most (all) NEW blocks require more machine work
then the avg. block if both being equal and done right.

All things being equal in the end you should end up with
computable machine charges. But 2 diff. animals 1 should last a li

fe time of occasional abuse w/ min. block issues
The other 50/50 So the only added expense is the $ for the block...:confused:

Typicaly the blocks are semi rough castings. Not really finished goods. Yet

I will guess if you are going to build the best of the best 109 with a dist, aluminum heads $10,000 to $12,000. The champion block alone is going to be around $3000 Aluminum heads $3500-$4500.

$1700 for the labor in my shortblock

s-k speed in lindenhurst NY

631 957 9525 talk to kevin

Jeff is building my motor, he does everything he used to build motors for shafiroff and kevin knows his stuff

Don't take this personal, but seeing that you are new to the board, and maybe turbo Buicks [?], you ask a question, and then "debate the answers.:confused:

We build lots of "new" blocks, Dart, indy, World, TA, and they actually take MORE machine time than a used block.

First, when a customer spends thousands of dollars to build a performance engine, ALL the details must be completely checked and brought within very close tolerances. New blocks are not machined to finish specs, as the customer and shop determine this.

Like was stated, $2000 is just a start on a 109 block, add things like a stroker, stage or alum block, oiling system mods, and it goes up fast from there.:)

You have a goal of mid-9's, so in a GN this equates to at least 900 HP. To do this consistently and reliably, you need to have about 1000 HP available.:eek:

This will need more than $2K worth of block work.:D

Opinions and comments are cheap, want some true $$$$ figures, ask the guys that have been there - mid 9's that is!.

In the voice of Forrest Gump.........

Thats all I got to say about that...........:biggrin:

Going mid 9's on a 109 block will cost you plenty of $$$$$$$$ no matter if its a stock block or a Champion block. Hell machine work for a STOCK rebuild is at least a couple grand if you want it done right.

If going fast on a Buick V6 is too expensive and trust me it is........its ALOT cheaper to go fast on V8 stuff.

Well, as I said, little if any. It is certainly possible that it would need some, but definetly not 2k worth. You guys must know something I don't. If I'm really being that níeve please do tell, I want opinions from guys who have been there done that. That's why I posted here. Even if it did need machining it would no doubt be much stronger that a 109. Don't you think? A new block should not need such things as boring (mabey honing), decking, align boring, lifter boring, sonic and pressure checking, magnafluxing..... Those things alone cost a ton. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Constructive criticism always welcome, but if I don't agree don't take it personally, I won't.

Boring-yes
honing with a plate-yes
deck height checked and adjusted as needed
lifter bushings possibly
line honing-maybe

A stock block is a waste for your goals. Id look into an s2. There are decent deals on them fairly complete. For your goals money should not be much of a concern. Its a $25k project to have a somewhat reliable mid 9 sec ride with these.