Cost of rebuilding 109's??

Dreamn4GN

Not sure if this should be in this section or the lounge, but Im curious how much the average build cost is. Start to finish. Obviously it depends on what you want to do with the motor. Ok So say I want a solid 11.50 car, but toss in some race gas and crank the boost up and spray alky and get into the 10's. What would a SOLID build like that cost?? I mean is their anyway to build a stout motor without blowing a HG or the motor itself up entirely?? Is there any so called a safe range/tune??I know most problems arouse when the boost is mostly over 20lbs, from what I have read over the years. Can you build a combo to run 11'50's and faster with under 20lbs of boost?? I know there is risk in any build, but there hasta be a solid build out there , thats consistant. I hear people say its very exspensive, but no numbers are ever thrown out there. So Im guessing what i want is a number( price) on a solid 109 build.
TIA

That depends what are you starting with? Is the block good, can the stock crank and pistons be reused? How lucky do you feel running the stock parts. Some people have rebuilt their motors for 2k and others will put over 10k in them.

If you spend 10K on the 109, plan on spending another 10K in supporting mods at least...

i know someone running 10's with stock rods stock crank and a pair of forged pistons.. he's abused the car like crazy if you have no knock no problem. o btw its not on race gas nor alky either :eek:

block would be good, just deciding to rebuild, forged internals and all that good stuff. , 10k for just the rebuild??? Plus another 10k for supporting mods?? Yeah screw that. I dont want nothing that intense. I was thinkin everything under 10k price range.. Im just contemplating what direction i want to go, N/A turbo v-8 regal or get into the 3.8/109 mess. Im leaning towards the N/A turbo v8 regal. I dont have the budget for either right now, But id like to figure out a direction Id like to go towards. Maybe just buy a stock GN and keep it at that who the hell knows..

i know someone running 10's with stock rods stock crank and a pair of forged pistons.. he's abused the car like crazy if you have no knock no problem. o btw its not on race gas nor alky either :eek:

Sounds like he wants to blow it up haha.. Im trying to do it right the first time, instead of spending double or triple , breaking and doing it right the 2nd time. I know guys who spend thousands and barely get 1k miles on it. Maybe it wasnt done right, but it just seems its happening more and more often.

you can run bottom 11's on a totaly stock motor,long block no problem, just dont detonate and have a safe tune. a few thousand on some upgrades to a stock car can get there.

no knock no problem!! its all on the tune/fuel you need to have 0 detonation. sufficient lubrication and the right setup.. my buddy leaves off the foot brake with re built stock tranny no billet hard parts in the tranny just some bands and a good stall with a matching turbo 1/2 the people that spend so much is because they want to..stock motors have been in the low 11's with no problem search it on you tube.. its a science.. you just need everything working with each other my buddy runs e85 and 23# of boost on a journal bearing and high timing. irons and a flat tappet cam.. stock headers stock rods stock crank. 2 dot rods are great? why billet? front mount ic no suspension on rear stock arms but a beefy rear sway bar

went on youtube and searched stock block turbo regal and look what came up stock block in the 9's...and they was plenty of vids under this video showing 10's on the scoreboard with stock block dont underestimate these 3.8's if its built right it needs to be tuned right. and you'll have a good time

T-Type stock block - YouTube

I seen all the video's. Its just I see more people breaking chit , then enjoying it. Maybe their doing something wrong i dunno. People selling cars bc their tired of wearing out their jack stands and lifts bc of the buicks. I guess its like you say gotta be right tune and no knock. I dont have ANY exp with these cars or anything, So what I know is just from what I read onhere. And Ive read more horror stories then success stories

i think you shouldnt jump ahead and build a motor with forged internals and spend a life savings on these cars ive learned its more of the experience rent yourself a picker unbolt tranny and mounts take motor out and im sure any wrench turner can take a couple bolts off and put bolts back on..i like doing chit myself because i do not have cash at my disposal i learn the hard way but honestly to be @ 11,50's i dont think you need to rebuild your motor with internals and etc.. nice turbo matching stall good chip good injectors supporting fuel whether race fuel or e85 and i promise you'll get there with sticky tires and 20# of boost. stock heads stock block good valve springs..

I was thinkin everything under 10k price range.. I dont have the budget for either right now,

Time to think of something else to build.. "BUDGET" does not work on doin a PERFORMANCE motor. 11.5 car is a no brainer with stock stuff that will live for years !! With good tuning of course !!

I know guys who spend thousands and barely get 1k miles on it. Maybe it wasnt done right, but it just seems its happening more and more often.

Not knowing what your doing as far as building AND TUNING isn't goin to last long

I dont have ANY exp with these cars or anything, So what I know is just from what I read onhere. And Ive read more horror stories then success stories

read above answer. Things happen very fast with a 10 sec car.. Stuff does break !! (NOT JUST BUICKS)

Sorry have to laugh at the $10k build.. Hell you are goin to need tires, Trans/good converter, rear end .. Goin to do any safety stuff ??

I ran 26 lbs of boost on pump gas and alky with no knock. NEVER popped a HG and was using stock GM gaskets.What I see alot of people doing is pulling fuel and to get that last little bit of power. A little bit rich is your safety margin. I'll sacrifice a couple tenths to save a motor. Just my .02

It can be done for under 10k, just not with 109 thats for sure. Im not talking just 10k on the whole car set up, Meaning just the motor build thats it. I dont wanna a motor built and bam running 11.50s or faster. I want it to be strong enough to handle the power Id like to get outta it. And gradually work my way down to them times. I have alotta close Buick guys that would def be able to show me the ropes without flushing 10k down the drain.
ArizonaGN( Nick) - Never even saw that link before.Thanks.. That seems alot more realistic.
Hemi8 - That article is the main reason why I started this thread.

You can have a good engine built for under $10000. It starts getting higher as more parts are needed. Turbo. Trans. Converter. Interooler. Injectors. Supension. Tires. Fuel system. It grows fast.