Camshaft Preference

HOW MUCH DETONATION IS OK?
Boats load the motor HARD!
I heard it detonate at 126 MPH for about 2-3 seconds, but I was winning!
Forgot it had 6 month old gas in the left side tank....
It runs on 91 octane, (if fresh), at 11-12 lbs boost (14/71 BDS), Water/air intercooler, 572", Brodix 360s, .720 lift Comp cam. 1260 + HP.
I drove it back 13 miles to the boat ramp. Just a bit of blowby!
Bore cleaned at .007" hone, custom pistons, rings, etc.
By the time you hear it, its junk!
TIMINATOR

Attachments

• IMG_20220725_104335.jpg
    IMG_20220725_104335.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 58
I'm currently running a 212/212 hydraulic roller cam with comp 26915-12 springs.
  • Spring Info:
  • Seat Pressure: 105 lbs @ 1.800''
  • Open Pressure: 293 lbs @ 1.200''
Valves float at 6300 Rpm. It starts to fall off around 5800-6000 which makes sense as the cam is specked that way. My goal is to take it to 7000 RPM range moving forward.
Not enough spring pressures inmo if you want it to run hard

None on a turbo buick
NONE ON AN ANYTHING!
It just started to barely lay over.....
No sensor.....
No, you can't feel it.....
No, I didn't hear it either....
Been racing 40+ years.....

Last edited:
Surprised there's still enough water out there for boating, the west takes an absolute beating.

The detonation is a killer on a Buick for sure. I cringe if I see much out of mine. I always tune richer. But leaner is meaner!

I forgot I had old gas in the left tank, i was cruising around under 60 or so just burning it off. I figured if I was gonna lay into it later, I'd just hit the tank switch first. OK, I forgot.... it was a costly mistake!
Of all of my turboed, blown, and squeezed rides, that was the WORST I have ever hurt anything. I WAS proud of that! Attention to detail, keeping good records, and being totally anal about everything, and one bone headed mistake! I keep it handy on the shelf over my desk as a reminder....
I thought I'd post it for the entertainment factor, and to show that I shouldn't take myself too seriously!
TIMINATOR