CORK oil pan gasket??

racer5252

where do i get a cork oil pan gasket? everyplace i check can only get a felpro rubber one. thanks

RJC Racing, Kirban Performance, etc. Do a search on the subject and you will see a couple threads full of info on people's experience with oil pan gasket. Apparently, the Felpro blue rubber ones are a waste of money. Another option is to maybe pick up a NOS GM rubber one, they're out there.

If you cant find a cork one and use the rubber you have to prep first. The oil pan rails will need to be super clean. After cleaning them use brake cleaner to get oil residue off....as a final rinse.There will be some residue trust me. Same for the new rubber gasket. Spray it down really liberally with brake cleaner, both sides. Even though it's new there will be residue on it from the manufacturer's molding process. Then put the pan bolts in finger tight only, all the way around. Then snug 'em a bit at a time with rachet in an equalizing cross pattern sequence similar to headbolt torqueing. Then after nearly to specs, torque to specs in the cross pattern. When everything is properly prepped the rubber does fine but CLEAN is a key word here. It's all in the prep. After 3 years mine are dry as a bone but to each his own. :)

I've been using the same rubber oil pan gasket for 12 years. I don't have any problems with it.

I use alcohol to clean and prep the surfaces before install. I also use a little bit of thread to hold the gasket in place as I put it on.

I also use rubber gasket on the valve covers with no leaks and rubber gasket on the tranny pan.

It's all in the prep!

I went through this a few months ago. Called around trying to get a cork gasket but they were on back order. Ended up using a felpro rubber. No issues, in fact this is the first time in the 13 years I have owned the care that it is not leaking :eek: . The guys are right on the prep when you think it is good, clean some more. I used brake cleaner to get all residue off. Tried the dental floss trick too to hold the gasket in place worked well.