Core Charge on Refrigerant

terik.m

I thought GNs are black
Can you guys believe that A*Zone has pulled all r134a from the shelves and no longer sells it to the public...unless you are licensed? I run over to Pep Boys and thankfully they still have it on the shelves but when I got to the regi to pay, the young clerk tells me theres a $10 core on the CAN!!! WTF is going on.

when did this start?

Guess I'm gonna head out to Farm and Fleet and see if I can pick up a few cans...

might have to go to Wal Mart and stock up... this is the time of year when the stuff is cheap- a $2 can this time of year turns into a $7 can when summer rolls around.

I hope not. I was planning on doing my a/c work on the Buick this winter, to include buying new cans of R134a.

Stop using those cans, take it to a place that can do it right :rolleyes:, your going to create more problems when you overfill it, and unless you vac it your not going to pull any moisture out of the system.

If this is the way things are going... then the timing for my EPA test on the 5th couldn't be better.

I work at AZ in texas and that is news to me...

I haven't heard anything about what you're talking about. Guess it must be a "earth-friendly" state kinda thing.

Good luck buying newspapers next week. $1.50 with a $10 core.

I picked up a coupled cans at WalMart last night. No issues here in ILL.

I went back to the AZ that I used to work at and one of my old managers told me that cooperate sent out the memo on Dec 24th. They were also told to pull aircraft paint stripper and Dupont ready to spray cans of paint. I think this is only a Californian issue right now.

Oriellly is charging the $10/can core charge

Why is the State requiring a refundable $10 core charge?
Which is environmentally stupid because it requires a 2nd trip to the store to get the refund.
There is something more to this.

Core charges are taxable, but the core charge tax is not refundable, hence 9cents a can income for the State to throw away.

I went back to the AZ that I used to work at and one of my old managers told me that cooperate sent out the memo on Dec 24th. They were also told to pull aircraft paint stripper and Dupont ready to spray cans of paint. I think this is only a Californian issue right now.

Be nice to know which CA agency issued this. I checked the FTB and CARB and can't find it.

addl info from CARB

HFC Emission Reduction Measures for Mobile Air Conditioning

According to O'Rielly the core charge is not taxable ( I think it is) but cans with receipts must be returned within 90 days. Depending on how the program works the core charge can be raised or lowered. I predict raised. Due to the paperwork the mfgs are subject to expect the cost of a can to go up.

On their agenda is to substitute high GHG (green house gas) refrigerants with a low GHG refrigerant.
Another item that is on hold is after you pass your smog test your AC will then be checked. If empty or leaking it will have to be repaired before registration will be issued.

Oriellly is charging the $10/can core charge

Why is the State requiring a refundable $10 core charge?
Which is environmentally stupid because it requires a 2nd trip to the store to get the refund.
There is something more to this.

LOL . epa does not = common sense