Copy right's

It's been copied by virtually every vendor out there that makes exhaust components, I don't see how there can be one.

It's been copied by virtually every vendor out there that makes exhaust components, I don't see how there can be one.
Attempted to copy. I haven't seen a really good copy myself.

copyrights are for books and songs and movies and stuff..

patents are for things..

copyrights belong to whoever published something first and don't really need to be filed for, patents belong to whoever files with the patent office first and can prove that they did it first.. i'd bet that nobody owns the patent to this particular part, since it's for a small niche market and would cost more to file for and defend the patent than would ever be earned from selling the parts.

If I recall correctly... There is a time limit on Patents & then they expire.

A patent is coverage for a unique design, feature, etc. Certainly not what a down pipe for a turbo Buick would represent.

Actually if it were the first one like it, it could be patented. Problem is, couple small changes and it could be different enough to get away with copying it anyway.

I'm pretty sure Scott McClay has a patent on the 200-4r billet shafted forward drum but it sure doesn't appear that he's enforcing it.

I thought Bob Sims invented the good downpipe?, I like my Mease version on the GN as well as my THDP on the WE4, if not better. ;):cool:

Actually if it were the first one like it, it could be patented. Problem is, couple small changes and it could be different enough to get away with copying it anyway.

I'm pretty sure Scott McClay has a patent on the 200-4r billet shafted forward drum but it sure doesn't appear that he's enforcing it.
Scott McClay doesn't have to worry about enforcing it because other designs aren't using the same process he is using. They aren't getting the same results either!

How has the copy right to the Terry Houston down pipe?

The THDP downpipe was created by another individual who had no interest in mass producing them.
TH took the Idea and ran with it.
And ironically the creator later took over production when TH stopped making them.
Fact.