cooling system post #2

justamatt

ok well im reposting this with way more information and pic's, hope it helps.

first and foremost i am not a mechanic although i do my best, everthing i know i know from you guys many thanks

alright well i just got done putting her back together and ready to take her out for the test drive when i notice the temp guage wasnt working

here is powerlogger and pic of guage
power logger.JPG

out of pic space sorry it was just a guage

so after a quick post i started diagnosing with vortexbuicks fan trouble shooting guide and this what ive done
first i was able to get them to work by turning on the a/c no problem then i went to the delay switch
delayswitch.JPG
and no problems while i was at switches i pulled what i think is the a/c compressor switch connector and ground it i got nothing??? but it worked when i turned on the a/c :confused:
accompressorswitch.JPG

then the delay relay i figured was good so i didnt really mess with it

after that the hispeed and lowspeed relays refer pics for what i did
lowspeed relay.JPG
highspeed relay.JPG
so pretty much all checked out good
so does this mean that i have a bad ecm?? it is reading the correct temp to powerlogger
and i dont see how the fans are connected to the temp guage not working
any advice is greatly appreciated
now for the work i just completed oil pan gasket, driverside motor mount, timing chain and gears, and oil pump spring.

TIA you guys have been great

and oh yeah ive got a pic of starter all wires are connected and i checked for voltage on one and it checked out ok sorry no pic only allowed 5 pics

I'm not sure what your problem is. :confused: Is the problem you don't have low speed on your fan only when you reach a particular engine temp? The compressor connector your holding to trigger the fan is the wrong one. That's the one for your clutch. The connector that turns the fan on is the A/C high pressure switch. If the fan comes on when you ground the DK GRN wire (I think) on the high pressure switch then the relays should be good. What is the fan temp set for in the chip you are using?

yeah had a feeling that was the wrong connector but it had a green wire:D
and yes i can get fan to work with a/c on i dont really know what temp the delay switch kicks on so i havent actually seen it run due to temp but i can ground the wire and the circuit works i sent an email to eric at turbo tweak and the ecm should kick on at 165 ive had it to 190 and still no lowspeed or temp guage for that matter still lost

at this point im thinking of just buying a new ecm just in case

Try grounding pin "D1" on your ECM and see if the fan comes on. If it does then reseat the connector to make sure you don't have a connection problem at the ECM. If it still won't come on after you reseat/check the connector try replacing the ECM. If the fan still does not come on when you ground "D1" then you have a wiring problem between the ECM and your low speed relay.

that is precisely what ive been looking for i shall try that tonight thanks man
i didnt know which wire the ecm grounded in order to check at the ecm
ill post back and update

I think I gave you the wrong pin# :redface: It's pin "D2". It should be a DK GRN wire. Pin "D1" is a ground. Sorry for the confusion :rolleyes:

There are two sensors. One is for the guage, the other is for the ecm. Both do not have anything to do with each other.

The guage one is by the water neck. The ecm one is on the front of the intake by the cam sensor. The high speed fan switch is on top of the intake under the fuel pressure regulator.

The low speed fan only comes on when the temp set by the chip is reached. If you see 178 degree's.. then the sender is working fine. If your chip is programmed to come on at 180 and the temp is 178, the low speed fan will never run.

The high speed fan kicks on when you turn on the AC or ground is applied to the high speed fan sensor wire(by the FPR)

Now if the dash guage doesnt work, look for a bad connection on the temp sender by the neck.

HTH

ok i thought that was just for the idiot light cause that seems to be what its for on the buick so when i replaced it i should have gotten one for a guage not a light??

yep that fixed the guage now back to the fans ill get into the computer tonight i took her up to 220 today still no fans :frown:
no delay either they never kicked on what so ever anyone know what temp the delay switch trips??