cooling issue

justamatt

ok well i just put everything back together after doing the timing chain, oil pan gasket, and motor mounts. when i was finished i reconected all sensors but one the temp switch it was broken i dont know how that happend infact i dont remember it being hooked up in the first place. started car and the temp guage sits at 0 so i go get the switch replaced it and still no temp guage and fans wont run i grounded the wire could see a spark but the fans would not run. hooked up the laptop realquick and it reads an engine temp in power logger but still no guage and no fans??? what did i break???
and it did work fine before all that work

Coolant sensors

Did you get the correct replacement? I see 3 different sensors, one is for the idiot light (passenger side on intake manifold), one that is located on the top of the manifold, drivers side, that is the temp fan control sensor, and right below that is the ECM coolant temp sensor. I've attached a pic to show what I'm talking about. This is from Peter Hoffmans book...(just like to give credit where credit is due)

Steve

Coolant sensors

for some reason the file didn't upload, so we will try again.

Steve

Attachments

• coolantdiagram.jpg
    coolantdiagram.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 159
the sensor i got looks just like the one in the picture and i installed just below and to the left of the coolant intake in the manifold

well the thrid sensor is also new replaced it when i got the car in july ish
i didnt know about the one ontop of the manifold ill check it at lunch. so would that sensor if out cause the fans and guage not to work??

well just did the continuity test and it seems to have failed did it cold and let it warm up at 170 it still wouldnt get continuity between the brass body and terminal i went ahead and checked the wire going to it reads continuity and 14 volts now when i ground out the wire shouldnt it kick the fan on???? does the sensor need to be connected when doing the continuity check?

The ecm should turn the fan on low speed when it reaches the temp programmed in the chip. The switch is for high speed operation when the engine temp gets pretty high. (can't remember what that temp is. Suffering from CRS disease :) )

well its a turbo tweak chip i dont know what eric set it at. well what im wondering is that since the fans wont kick on even when i ground out the wire is it the relay?

ok what are the odds of both hi and low speed relays going out at once??
i can make the fans run by shorting out the wires at the relay connectors but not at the sensors/switches

ok what are the odds of both hi and low speed relays going out at once??
i can make the fans run by shorting out the wires at the relay connectors but not at the sensors/switches

and i havent seen any connection between the fans and the temp guage

anybody???????