Coolant leak from above balancer?

IceHockeyJedi

I couldn't get a pic snapped at the exact moment the drip would form. I thought it was coming from the bolt just to the right of the rad. hose band clamp in the pic. However, after wiping it down a little, it appears to originate from just above perhaps from behind the pulley. Is this a gasket on the front cover issue? The car sat while temps were in the teens and the steady drip appeared after temps returned to the 40's-50's. Thank you for any thoughts and/or opinions.
GEDC0434.JPG

Looks like water pump seal, loosen the 4 bolts on the pulley then take the serpintine belt off remove the pulley and look at the pump snout area for signs of leakage. Not too bad of a job to do.

Thank you for the responses. I did another search using more specific key words used in your posts and discovered that this is a fairly common issue. I'd like to start on it now, but it sounds like we've got snow comin'. :( Thanks again, without this board I'd be totally lost.

a water pump is a half hour swap.. easy peasy.
if the front seal is leaking, then you will probably be able to grab the pulley and wobble it a decent amount.. any movement means the pump is shot..
and if you don't have antifreeze in it and it gets really cold wherever you are, get some in there ASAP. otherwise you will be posting up in the spring about the mysterious crack in the side of the block that coolant pours out of..

a water pump is a half hour swap.. easy peasy.
if the front seal is leaking, then you will probably be able to grab the pulley and wobble it a decent amount.. any movement means the pump is shot..
and if you don't have antifreeze in it and it gets really cold wherever you are, get some in there ASAP. otherwise you will be posting up in the spring about the mysterious crack in the side of the block that coolant pours out of..
Thank you, sir. I topped off the radiator and overflow, so I'm good to go for now.

Looks like water pump seal, loosen the 4 bolts on the pulley then take the serpintine belt off remove the pulley and look at the pump snout area for signs of leakage. Not too bad of a job to do.
Just looking at the picture, I would have said this^^^

Let me know what you find and if you need any help just ask.
Here's an update...finally! So far, this is going well. The gasket pretty much came right off. I'm thinking I need to hit up O'reilly's and match up and replace the bolts. I'm gonna remove the S-hose next and put that new nipple fitting in.

Attachments

• GEDC0454.JPG
    GEDC0454.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 142
While you there clean up the engine too. Look very greasy, But it's a Buick :D
Already on it, brotha. The previous owner chose to spend 4000$ on a paint job instead of taking care of the important stuff first. But, that's ok. I saved her and am doing things right!

Don't forget the four bolts that goes through the water jacket engine block, you must apply some Pertmatex Thread Sealant with PTFE (Item #80632) on those four bolts.

Better yet, put it on all the bolts, then you are sure you got the important ones....:D