Coolant-do you use water or distilled?

copo

Guys, it's been 3 years now since I've changed my engine/rad coolant. I was thinking since I've saved some distilled water from my dehumidifier from last summer that I can use it with my antifreeze rather than tap water. I notice that Prestone now sells their jugs already mixed with deminerized water. I'll need to remove the pipe plugs in the block to fully remove the old antifreeze that's mixed with tap water. :eek:

Do you guys use water? Doesn't it form calcium scale in the rad cores quicker unless you change it more frenquently?

I also do that and add the RMI-25 to the radiator, my radiator stays very clean inside with it.

Is distilled and deionized water different? Does distilled water have calcium in it or has it got the same stuff as tap water except for the chlorine?

copo said:
Is distilled and deionized water different? Does distilled water have calcium in it or has it got the same stuff as tap water except for the chlorine?
They are different, distilled is made by boiling water and the recondensing it, you keep the boiling point constant so that only the water flashes off to be liquified in the condensor section. Deionized... well I'm not sure, but I know they take out the minerals because most of them are relatively positive ions, left side of the periodic table.

Except for some freshly rebuilt engines, I have always used tap water but the treated city water in my area is extremely clean and my cooling systems have never failed due to mineral deposits.

However, the distilled water is so cheap - why not use it? I'm sure it is better than even the best of treated water.

I no longer even use the filter on my tap for drinking as it really did not make a difference. The chlorine goes out of the water very fast.

MSDGN said:
I've always used distilled with RMI-25...no problems...

I too, use distilled water and RMI-25. RMI-25 is an excellent additive and will keep your cooling system clean. It will also clean your existing system after the 3 year neglect. ;)

Give Nick Micale a call. He sells it. Go to his website and you can view a complete run down on this product. :cool: www.arizonagn.com

Nick's a good guy to work with. :)

George

WHEEZER said:
I use straight distilled water, no additivives. :D

You need additives to lubricate seals in the waterpump ... unless you're running an electric pump :smile:

oldtimer said:
You need additives to lubricate seals in the waterpump ... unless you're running an electric pump :smile:
I'll prolly add some the OT. Thanks, Paul.

What's Prestone pre mix have in it? Distilled or deminerilzed?
Any way to add the premix Prestone without opening the block cocks so I get rid of the tap water/normal prestone?

Bad parctice...

WHEEZER said:
I use straight distilled water, no additivives. :D

Not a good way to protect an expensive engine [and trans], too many downsides to save a couple $$$.

Water only, distilled, purified or otherwise, will cause rust, run hotter, allow electrolysis and corrosion in the system to name some issues.

As far as the "type" of water used with RMI, it really will not make any difference if the recommended maintaince procedures for the cooling system is followed. :)

Just got this off the prestone site.
Prestone® 50/50 Ready-to-use Antifreeze/ Coolant features a blend of 50% antifreeze/coolant for temperature and corrosion protection and 50% demineralized water for heat transfer protection.

http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php

prestoneAntiCool4.jpg

copo said:
Just got this off the prestone site.
Prestone® 50/50 Ready-to-use Antifreeze/ Coolant features a blend of 50% antifreeze/coolant for temperature and corrosion protection and 50% demineralized water for heat transfer protection.

More BS from the chemical marketing department. :(

Water will run cooler than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Doubt that you could measure the difference demineralized water would make?

For summer cooling, water and RMI is the best and most inexpensive method, and no fear of antifreeze to ruin bearings with a blown head gasket.