convertor

hiboom

Hiboom
Just installed new motor,also put in new 12" lockup converter, transmission was new last year(4000 miles) my question is if you got hold of a 30 spline converter instead of 27 spline converter would it still install normal?Would the 30 spline slide over the 27 spline shaft and just not engage thus not having any forward and reverse gears?

I think it will going in but you wont have any movement as you stated.If you are unsure disconnect a cooler line and put a bucket or and old washer fluid bottle on both ends you disconnected,start the car and see if its pumping and fluid.no fluid = probably the wrong converter.

converter

I think the pump will still be engaged via the ears on the converter (two notched areas) I disconnected the return line from the external transmission cooler started and the pump is working fine. just no forward or reverse gears or no noise

Just installed new motor,also put in new 12" lockup converter, transmission was new last year(4000 miles) my question is if you got hold of a 30 spline converter instead of 27 spline converter would it still install normal?Would the 30 spline slide over the 27 spline shaft and just not engage thus not having any forward and reverse gears?

I would think you are on the right track..I did strip the center drive plate out of a convertor once at a 1-2 shift. It did exactly as you describe..no powerflow (obviously as the input shaft wasn't driven). I scattered the entire trans thinking I shelled an internal part and finally resorted to cutting the convertor in half to verify. I guess you suspect you got a 700r4 or 4L60E convertor ?

converter

I'm thinking I got sent the wrong converter one with 30 splines and not the one needed 27 splines.I was hoping a transmission expert would verify that it is possible to install a 30 spline converter over a 27 spline input shaft and not realize it? and if it is possible what kind of damage might have been done either way i know it will have to come out.

If you dont get a good respone by tomarrow i will ask at work,i work at a trans shop.I think you maybe correct about it pumping.I am pretty sure it will fit,that is why we check the converters with an input shaft.This is common with the 700r4 trans.If nobody remembers i can grab a converter off the shelf and try a 27 spline input shaft in the 30 spline convereter.

It will still pump fluid as the hubs are the same size and pump engagement will still happen. The 30 spline WILL slip over a 27 spline input shaft and you will not have any movement of the input shaft. Just like a 24 spline input on a C4 will slip inside a 26 spline C4 converter. ;)

I thought so but wasnt 100% positive.Its been along time since we dont see alot of small input 700s any more at my work.

Yes, a 30 spline convertor will go right on your 2004r, As stated, it will still pump fluid but will not drive the input shaft, therefor a no go situation.