converting hot air car to intercooled.

GMTECH12002

I have recently took on a project to replace an engine in a 85 hot air gn, i suggested that while i was doing all this work why not convert to intercooled, possibly just changing the intake manifold and turbo, then adding a nice intercooler setup, has anyone out there tackled this before, if so is it just that simple, or will i find out that i need the proper wiring harness, ecm and many other things that would make this a very bad idea. BTW, I am planning on using a 109 long block, any insite to this would be much appreciated, also i may be looking for all the parts to convert this car,

Start in this section

http://turbobuick.com/forums/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech.9/

It's been done a lot and there used to be vendors just for that. I know a lot went out of buisness, no idea if there is anyone still out there making new parts. But you can still get stuff both used and new to do it. LOTS of reading to do as there are a lot of other cheaper things that can be done to make the car faster. Do a search for 'intercooler' in that section (click the TITLE ONLY option with the search) and you will find a lot of info.

No problem. I actually did the search first to see if I could just post up the straight forward answer for you, but there was a lot of different options and a LOT of info, so I thought it would be best if you just read it yourself. Afterall, I'm just a lousy intercooler guy! lol! :) Good luck.

I have recently took on a project to replace an engine in a 85 hot air gn, i suggested that while i was doing all this work why not convert to intercooled, possibly just changing the intake manifold and turbo, then adding a nice intercooler setup, has anyone out there tackled this before, if so is it just that simple, or will i find out that i need the proper wiring harness, ecm and many other things that would make this a very bad idea. BTW, I am planning on using a 109 long block, any insite to this would be much appreciated, also i may be looking for all the parts to convert this car,

It all depends on how you want to do it. You could adapt an intercooler to the 84/5 setup or do a complete 86/7 swap. On my old 85 T-Type I did a custom intake that completely gutted the restrictive stock intake. Unfortunately the guy who made it ended screwing me out of some parts and I guess went on a drug bender...

I used a TA-54 Turbo, ATR headers/up-pipe/down-pipe, 55# injectors and a art-carr 9" NL converter.

Here is some pics of that motor:
85oldmotor.JPGP5130004.JPGP5130005.JPGP5130006.JPG

I went low 12's @121mph at 21-22# of boost with this set up. ET's were bad because the car was a peg leg and could only cut 2-2.2 60' times.

I ended up getting my brothers 86 T-Type that had the motor blow. I sold the rolling chassis to a board member here and took all the parts I needed for the conversion on my 85. That included the wiring harness, ecm, fuel lines and all the brackets and accessories. Going this way is the cleanest but requires the most parts. I didn't get many runs with this setup because the car got stolen; but this is how it looked:
Car2.JPG

I am amazed by the support given by all you folks that love your buicks. I do appreciate all the insite. I am also somewhat overwhelmed by the possibilities and choices I have to make this conversion so I think I will go with the cheap and easy way by reclocking the turbo and adapting the intake. However I do still question this, is the wiring harness and ECM different between the HA car and the IC cars

I am amazed by the support given by all you folks that love your buicks. I do appreciate all the insite. I am also somewhat overwhelmed by the possibilities and choices I have to make this conversion so I think I will go with the cheap and easy way by reclocking the turbo and adapting the intake. However I do still question this, is the wiring harness and ECM different between the HA car and the IC cars

Yes the 86/87's have a different harness/ECM. I know that is a mod that the hot air guys do before they even go intercooled. They swap in the harness/ECM. Better computer controll over all I think.