Converter being difficult to install

tttype

Am trying to install a converter onto the trans (200 4r) but it will not go on all the way.

Looks to be about 1" away from fully seating.

These 2 parts have been together before for a few thousand miles, but have been apart for a couple years during a engine refresh.

Have done lots of spinning, wiggling, swearing etc, & end up at the same distance in. Flexplate mounting pads are about 1/2" into the trans bell housing surface.

Have inspected the splines for burrs etc & found none.

Any ideas , tricks of the trade ?

I'd pull the pump cover and pull the pump gear out to see whats going on. See why the converter shaft will not slide into the gear. I had one converter hub that was .01 bigger than the gear. Used a die grinder on the hub to get it to slide home.

You say they have been mated up correctly before? I recently had some frustration with a converter install. Turned out the slots were the incorrect width. No way it would go on the pump. Maybe the converter snout has a bur on the slots? Do you have a different converter to try on to test out the install?

Sometimes they are very difficult to install. Stand the trans on end, this usually does it or just keep spinning it to find the alignment. They were together once so there should be no issues.

I'm not an expert , but am thinking its not the pump holding things up.
Looks like the pump only engages the converter about 1/2" deep. & it definitely needs to go in more than that.

Unless the pump is the 2nd stage of engagement & then another spline goes even further on.

Take it out then turning counterclockwise and lifting to keep it straight and pushing at the same time I t should slide in three times .

Dave Husek has the right Idea.....Do you have a 5 gallon bucket to put the tailshaft in while someone else holds the trans in a vertical position?
I have had several that had to be done like this all were aftermarket converters the stock ones go in much easier usually.

If you have 1/2" to the bellhousing surface the other 1/2" will get you where you need to be. Supposed to be 1" conv. stands to bellhousing.

Will try CCW rotation.
In neutral or gear make a difference I wonder ?

Trans is still in car & was trying to keep it that way. But I think that will be the end result.
Put a spare yoke on it, set vertical & then all splines etc will be in a " neutral" floating position rather than off center due to gravity.

Thanks all

Will try CCW rotation.

Trans is still in car & was trying to keep it that way. But I think that will be the end result.
Put a spare yoke on it, set vertical & then all splines etc will be in a " neutral" floating position rather than off center due to gravity.

Will try CCW rotation.

Thanks all

Thanks all
Will try CCW rotation.

Thanks all
Just curious, can you turn the convertor or is it butted up to flexplate?

keep spinning it one way a few revolutions then the other. Wiggle it as you do it and put a constant positive force on it while doing all this. If it still doesnt go after fussing with it for 15-20 min., then take the tranny out as stated above and stand it up.

Had friend come over & spin, shake etc to no avail.
Tried a stock convertor & it dropped on in a few seconds.

Its a TC from Dusty & the center spline does not have much of a taper leading into the splines .
Removed trans. set vertical & it dropped on in a few turns.
I believe the center section of TC was hanging down when trying to install horizontally ( in car ) & the minimal bevel was not allowing the splines a chance to engage.

Thanks for the suggestions

Sometimes they are very difficult to install. Stand the trans on end, this usually does it or just keep spinning it to find the alignment. They were together once so there should be no issues.
That's what I did when I couldn't get my PTC converter to seat all the way in. Worked like a charm.

Standing on the end is best. The weight of the converter is working against you and it's hard to align it perfectly when your arms are getting tired. By standing it up on it's tail shaft you now have the weight of the converter working for you.

I had the same issue with a TQ. Look at the stator inside the TQ, You should be able to spin it slightly...it should float. Mine was pinched between the housing from where clearance was removed for an SFI flex plate. The stator ended up being cockeyed inside the TQ and would not allow full seat. Changed converters, new one dropped in. Not saying yours is doing the same thing, just sounds very similar