Converter and altitude

bigz

I would like to know if any of the other guys driving their cars at high altitude have had a problem with their turbo spooling up. My car has a TA49 with blue tops. When I initially got my car I took it to the local TR shop for a tuneup and was told I needed a looser converter to spool my turbo at Denver's elevation. My car was a dog off the line with the stock converter. I have upgraded to a Vigilante 3200 stall converter (I think it might be higher). My car now spools like crazy as you can imagine, but now I can't get any traction. I have upgraded the suspension which I hope will help but would like to know from anybody with experience what the ideal stall is for a TA49 at about 5000-6000 feet. I'm also wondering if this converter is killing my mph. The best I've managed is 109 mph but usually end up in the 106-108 range at 23 lbs of boost on pump gas and alcohol.

Mike

Watching this thread from 7,000 ft....

Come on experts, what is the effacacy of a high stall converter to compensate for altitude? Do we risk traction problems on the low end?

TTT :)

When I had a 49 here at 5300 ft. I used the stock D5. It worked alright but a tight 2800 I think would have been about right.
I used a Precision Vigilante 2800 with a 44 and a 51 and it was plenty for both. I now have a 54 with a PTS 3200 and its just about right.
Much of the bottom end spool has to do with the chip and overall combo. We started doing our own chips up here based on our Directscan runs and it helped a bunch. HTH