Converted to NLU = Issues

OhioTurbo6

I installed the TransGo 7-CCV kit for converting to Non Lock Up. Put an ART Carr NLU converter in.
After a few miles out driving the front pump seal came out and dumped fluid. I pulled it out and discovered I did not remove the o-ring on the input shaft per the TransGo instruction. I did however, remove the check ball/retainer. Now that I have it all back together and I put a few miles on it, it seems to be fine. My question is, did the front seal blow out due to the o-ring not being removed or do I have other issues? Thanks.

There is a stock push on retainer( same as 700, 4l60) that always should be used. Use it and it will not come out. Cant hurt to run a little sealant around outside either. The o ring shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Thanks! I also researched and found something about drilling a return hole out. If anyone has any details about doing that pleae chime in. The kit I used was supposed to be all I had to do in order to use a NLU converter... I guess not.

Id pull the trans and replace the front bushing and check the converter snout for runout. Its not normal for the bushing to come out. You can drill the drain back to .250" if an early housing. The bushing should be installed squarely and loc-tited with retaining compound. Use an anaerobic sealant around the seal. Ive installed at least 50 of those kits and never had a problem. Sometimes i need to grind the end of the pin a little to be able to get the snap ring in.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388446056.813517.jpg
seen this plenty of times. The bushing is beat and the converters pump drive was wasted

Bison, Is it possible the pump bushing was bad before I converted it to nlu? When I got the trans I noticed the front seal was not pressed in all the way. I thought it was just a new one stuck on there, I pressed it in and installed it. I just bought the transmission off of a friend and fellow member here. I guess I'll have to see if it holds up, need to drive it some more.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There is a stock push on retainer( same as 700, 4l60) that always should be used. Use it and it will not come out. Cant hurt to run a little sealant around outside either. The o ring shouldnt have anything to do with it.
The push in retainer is no match for the force of oil pressure building up behind the seal.The non lock up mod puts another gallon per minute through the converter and results in increased drainback with the wrong diameter converter neck,pump bushing wear etc .The drainback hole is barely adequate for stock line pressure so imagine what happens with a bigger boost valve, stiffer pr spring and worn converter neck or pump bushing.Drill out the drain back holes or get ready to pull it out again unless it was half way out when you changed the converter and you just didnt see it.

Chris, I've had it in and out 3 times last week. Pulling it is no biggie. Still have all the tools on the cart lol. The seal was half way out when I got the transmission. First time. it pushed the seal out. Took it out and put new seal in...second time it pushed it out again. Pulled it out and removed the input shaft o-ring, third time back in it hasn't blown yet. I had it up to 55-60mph and then did a 5psi launch, hasn't pushed back out yet. So the o-ring removal really didn't have an effect?
Thanks.

Chris, I've had it in and out 3 times last week. Pulling it is no biggie. Still have all the tools on the cart lol. The seal was half way out when I got the transmission. First time. it pushed the seal out. Took it out and put new seal in...second time it pushed it out again. Pulled it out and removed the input shaft o-ring, third time back in it hasn't blown yet. I had it up to 55-60mph and then did a 5psi launch, hasn't pushed back out yet. So the o-ring removal really didn't have an effect?
Thanks.

The o ring has nothing to seal on in a non lockup converter. It's open space. You can look in the converter and see it when comparing to a lockup. Removal prevents it from coming off and circulating through the converter.

downloadfile-6.jpg

Here is the transgo instructions for the drainback mod. Worth the time if you have to drop the trans again. And for the cost of the retainer, I don't think it is a bad investment to try to keep the front seal in.

87 should have the #690 Pump body with the step machined to prevent Bushing walk.
Links above are for a 700r4 but, they use the same style/type Pump as the 2004r. Just use a different style/size Stator support.

Thanks for all the help everyone. The trans is still holding up but I do not plan on taking it out on any drives. I'm going to order a stage 2 from Lonnie, and a PTC converter.