Console pod question

eagleguy

What are the most common gauges used in the 2 pod set up that goes on the console and are they mechanical or other?

Oil pressure and trans temp are ones I've most frequently seen. Both use electric senders.

I'd say the most popular are oil pressure and engine water temperature , but in my car I have a 4 gauge console pod with boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure and water temp. (y)

Claude. :)
DSCN3234.JPG

2 1/16 gauges yes. Electrical just gives you freedom to place anywhere. It might not be exact but just use as a baseline. If you start seeing oil pressure drop when it hadn't before something is still wrong. Some gauges aren't offered or are very rarely offered in electrical, like fuel pressure.

It might not be exact but just use as a baseline. Some gauges aren't offered or are very rarely offered in electrical, like fuel pressure.
Vince, years ago mechanical gauges were the only way to go…but nowadays, the electric ones are very precise…in fact, other than the boost gauge, all my other gauges (including my fuel pressure gauge) are electrical. I never had a mechanical problem that could be traced back to a bad reading from an electrical gauge.

Claude. ;)

2 1/16 gauges yes. Electrical just gives you freedom to place anywhere. It might not be exact but just use as a baseline. If you start seeing oil pressure drop when it hadn't before something is still wrong. Some gauges aren't offered or are very rarely offered in electrical, like fuel pressure.
Going to use the center console pod (holds two) that came with my car and probably go with a engine temp and oil pressure set up.

Vince, years ago mechanical gauges were the only way to go…but nowadays, the electric ones are very precise…in fact, other than the boost gauge, all my other gauges (including my fuel pressure gauge) are electrical. I never had a mechanical problem that could be traced back to a bad reading from an electrical gauge.

Claude. ;)
I agree. Electrical ones are great. I wrote that mainly for the guys who would like to argue that Mech are the only way to go. Mech gauges are good for sure. But their limitations in placement outweigh their precision in my opinion. Oil pressure for instance, if mech says 25 and an electrical shows 24, really its not that big of deal. Now if your gauge is usually at 25/24 and then goes to 12, you have issues.
I have had troubles with my electrical fuel pressure gauge though. Sender is new but the gauge is not. It just spikes and doesn't do anything. I have an on the rail gauge for when I am under the hood and a mechanical gauge I can tuck under the wiper arm on a 3' hose. No troubles with either one and have proper pressure and adjustment and pressure rise under boost. But the ele gauge- pegged.

I agree. Electrical ones are great. I wrote that mainly for the guys who would like to argue that Mech are the only way to go. Mech gauges are good for sure. But their limitations in placement outweigh their precision in my opinion. Oil pressure for instance, if mech says 25 and an electrical shows 24, really its not that big of deal. Now if your gauge is usually at 25/24 and then goes to 12, you have issues.
I have had troubles with my electrical fuel pressure gauge though. Sender is new but the gauge is not. It just spikes and doesn't do anything. I have an on the rail gauge for when I am under the hood and a mechanical gauge I can tuck under the wiper arm on a 3' hose. No troubles with either one and have proper pressure and adjustment and pressure rise under boost. But the ele gauge- pegged.
Summit had these gauges which are rated really well and have a nice look. Price is extremely reasonable. I know there are better gauges out there but I am just a weekend cruiser.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2924/reviews/?page=3

the grey molded one with the 2 side by side gauges look very stock, do you really wanna slap that black bracket on your buick...

I have oil psi and water temp both mechanical and copper tube for oil. Got Autometer electrics sitting in a box...

Reactions: K-9