Considering going from LT1 to Grand National...worth it?

ReducedFat

Evenin' gentlemen, or good morning/afternoon depending on where you're situated.

I have a 94 Pontiac Formula automatic with the LT1 engine in it. I love my car to death, but it just isn't fast enough to back up all the noise it makes. It's enough to kick around the ricers in my town and the richies in BMW's but it just does NOT run with the big boys while I'm at the track.

There are several T-Types and GN's for sale in my area and I'm considering going for one considering the legacy they have and how easy they apparently are to get running mid 11's with a comparatively mild setup.

In your honest opinion, should I continue building on the LT1 and work towards my original goal of an 11 second all motor 383, or sell it start working on a turbo buick? I have very limited turbo knowledge, but I can learn.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S.- How much better are the 86-87 cars than the 85's? I know that the later cars are intercooled, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Thanks again, Eric.

F Body = common

TR = Uncommonly cool

Plus you won't know how to act when you open the hood and realize you can change your plugs and wires in less that a whole day:D

i would do it, but i may be a bit biased.

If you do get one and speed is what you want definitly go for a 86 or 87.

5 HOURS! 5 FREAKING HOURS TO CHANGE PLUG WIRES!

Very valid point rage, is it pretty easy to work on?

You may want to go for a TTA if you can find one. I went from a 3rd gen F body to the 87 GN and I miss the handling and instantanious response. My 90 Iroc cornered on rails... I loved that car, but I do love the GN more. I am going to be in the market someday for a TTA - I think that would be zen:D

Vic

Oh - much easier to work on...

I would, and for the same main reasons you have mentioned.

It's not apples for apples, but I bought a new 93 Mustang. Sure, if I dumped a bunch of cash, I'd have a fast car. The 2 primary reasons I sold the car: noise and tires. The car sounded great, but drove me insane as a daily driver. The tires were 16 inch and I was dropping over $600 for a set of tires every 2 years or less. :eek: I've spent less in mods and my Buick is a full second faster on street tires that cost $75 each, they last 3 years, and it's silent by comparison.

Yes, I'm biased, and I'm pissed I didn't by a Buick back in 1993.

good idea

:) :D Once you get a Turbo Buick you will never look back. I have had mine for three years. I was in to the '70s V-8s for 35 years, six years in to the fast Buick V-8s. Went to the GSCA nationals in '97. Wondered what all the excitement was over those V-6's. Funny they they sounded like lear jets going down the track and were kicking some V-8's @#%#. My son got hooked and went racing in his new found GN. Only car that scared me... the first time I drove it. Mods to go quicker are not outrageous. My wife even likes the neck jerking tire barking and what the hell was that look on other's faces. My T Type is dark metalic blue and few people realize what it is... Go '86 or '87 intercooled. Fewer problems, more desireable, quicker and easier to mod for long life and speed. I would jump from the f body and you will soon be saying "I love a little boost in the morning..." :cool: ;)

FWIW I had a 97 TA with procharger D1SC w/3 core FM intercooler and my buddy in his lightly modded buick V6 could run me all day long. Since then I have parted out the TA and bought a GN and dont regret it. Plus if you went to sell it the buick will be worth alot more than a 4th gen LT1 car. Mario mgttype

I bought my T to replace my 11-sec LS1 Vette. I'm about to return the C5 to stock, the T has made a much better initial impression on me than the C5 ever did. With a bad wastegate actuator and only 8 lbs of boost I hung with my friend's LT1 Camaro, and he has a lot more mods(every bolt-on possible +gears/tc). The only downside is I'm losing my racecar handling and the Buick tends to drip a little oil here and there. Overall, the choice is yours, but I don't think you'll have any regrets. I may even buy a clean stock GN once the C5 is actually gone:D

I had a 98 TA about 3 years ago, and I loved that car to death. I had all the bolt-ons, gear, all kinds of stuff. Probably spent 2 grand in upgrades. I went to a test and tune night (it was also import night...) and I was rippin the hell out of everything there (yeh, I'm just talking about eclipses and ***** **** like that.) Then I lined up against a grandma car. I got the jump on the guy, but shortly before the 1/8th mile mark, THIS GUY PASSED ME LIKE I WAS PARKED ON THE SIDE OF THE TRACK. I asked him after that run (he ran an 11.2x somthing) what kind of mods he had.....must have been alot. He smiled and said that he had never even taken off a valve cover......just a couple bolt ons, and I almost **** my pants. I sold my TA the next week. I miss the rumbling exaust more than anything, but I can live without it. If I had the money, I would own both. (one day I will) but these turbo buicks are just some of the most amazing cars every to come out of detroit, and there is no denying that they rule the street. I can remember riding around with my buds in highschool and their mustangs and camaros, or whatever. If we ever pulled up to a stoplight next to a turbo regal, everyone in the car would just duck down and hope that he didn't see us:D
These cars just scream: "DON'T **** WITH ME":cool:

OH, and by the way..........I have never done anything more infuriating than changing those god damned spark plugs.

I had a 2001 Z28 and a 1995 Formula 6spd car. Neithe compare to this beast. I sold the Z28 ( and the LT1 went as trade on the Z) after I spanked it several times with an almost stock GN. I had cat back AFPR, and stock boost...Z couldnt pass me...turned the boost up and race gas...no chance Z28. It had UD pullies, y-pipe, cat back, lid, K&N , ported MAF, all FREE Mods, IAT, blaa blaa
I dont think you wil be disappointed. I do however miss the V8 roar threw the Loudmouth exhaust that I had......Oh well, couldnt hear it way out in front of it anyway

Absolutely

No doubt in my mind - buy a TR. I've had several different F-Bodies, including LT1's and LS1's as well as an SS. They were all fun for a variety of reasons but when it comes to things like ease of service, stealthy appearance, unique factor, interior room, and flat out performance, the TR will always come out on top in my book.

Yes, an F-Body will handle a little better given a stock suspension on a TR. But go to www.hrpartsnstuff.com and you can get what ever suspension mods you want that will let you peel your eyeballs out of your head in the twisties.

And you won't need subframe connectors to do it. ;)

While I do agree that the exhaust note of a healthy V8 is much more impressive, the sound of an engine doesn't win races or twist the dyno.

One good ride in a tweaked TR and I know you'll be hooked for good. I wouldn't spend another dime on the F-body - get out and seriously look at the cars available in your area.

For what you will need to spend to get an F-body to run 11's reliably you will spend a fraction of that to get a TR to do it.

'86's and '87's have the intercooler and a few other differences than the hot-air cars that for most are worth the price difference. They definitely have more snort!

Find a clean, low mileage and healthy '86 or '87 that hasn't been abused and then come back here for all the info you can ever imagine on how to make your new car kick some serious ass with minimal ca$h outlay.

I came from the same place, used to have a 95 TA m6 that I modded out then sold it for a 98 Z28 m6 that I modded out. I do miss both cars, I wish there was a way to still have both, but once you get a TR, you'll see....I will buy another Fbody but I will always have the GN. No going back after having boost!

Since we all agree you should go TR, as do I, you should opt for a clean stocker!!! That way you'll have a good base to work with and you'll know EXACTLY what the mods are! Oh, and make sure the wiring isn't all messed with by some bozo!

just my .o2 ;-)

There's only one thing you'll miss, The beautiful sound of a V8, once you get over that, it's all good !

Drive one first to make sure you really like them. Be prepared to do work on it as they are moody motors that require care to keep running. Unlike the LT1 that you could run without oil for a few miles without a problem.

I was 17 (now 29) when I got my first TR. I had never owned an f-body and thought they sucked back then. After theives took my TR and money was a problem when my second TR blew up I ended up getting a 95 Z/28. That car melted which didnt leave a good impression with me but I did like the new body style so I bought another one. I sold the second Camaro for a white 94 Camaro which I modified to over 400 HP. I dumped the white one for a 96 SS and thought that was it. I loved that car and figured I would keep it forever.

I was wrong, once the boost has bitten you, its hard to keep anything else. I traded my SS last July for an 87 GN and couldnt be happier. Although my GN is currently sitting in the garage with the interior stripped out and the headliner at the shop being renewed, dripping a little oil from one of the valve covers, and running with one injector leaking so bad I havent felt the full power yet. I am still happy I have it.

To me, the Camaro was a bad ass car that was fun to drive and contrary to many peoples opinions I felt comfortable in it at speeds over 150 MPH. The problem was, it was so cramped and I felt like I couldnt do any of the work myself since I didnt have a hoist.

The Buick on the other hand is a big 1:1 scale model that I dont mind tearing a part. I didnt know my Buick had sat for six years, if I did, I probably wouldnt have bought it since I am replacing a lot of dry rotted parts on it. But since I didnt know, and I have it, I am enjoying working on it.

Then again, its my third car so I dont need it for daily driving. If it were my only car I probably wouldnt enjoy working on it as much since I would be bumming rides off friends to go any where.

Had many f body's and this is by far the fastest dollar for dollar car I have owned.

Consider the TTA if you can.... prices are still quite low.

I just ran a 12.305@110.55 on a crappy 1.772 60' w/street chip and 23psi boost.

BTW, a lot of guys are running very good numbers with lots of miles on their motor. Mine has 79k.

Bo

Thanks for the input guys! It's very interesting how many of you have gone from F-Bodies to TR's. I won't really miss the handling of the F Bodies, because it isn't really all that stellar anyway. I just like to go Go GO and that's what the Buicks do best.