Considering going from LT1 to Grand National...worth it?

Someone recommended some suspension upgrades for our G-Body kings. Give me a few part numbers and such please!!! :) Thanks a bunch!

nero

Originally posted by ReducedFat
Thanks for the input guys! It's very interesting how many of you have gone from F-Bodies to TR's. I won't really miss the handling of the F Bodies, because it isn't really all that stellar anyway. I just like to go Go GO and that's what the Buicks do best.

If you want to go GO for low dough... the TR is your best bet for sure.

Vic

Why dont you call pro turbo kits and get a turbo kit for the car you have now?That would run mid 11s on pump gas and low boost.

You could just do what i did....have a TR and a Fbody:D

87 GN = My car
99 Z28 = Wife's car (really mine, but she drives it)

Main problem with the suggestions here, I'm only 18 and money isn't exactly racing me to the speed shop while I'm working at blockbuster.

I like TR's because they don't advertise the speed. And the rotating assemblies are pretty bullitproof right? My damn firebird would shoot internals every which way if any boost was thrown at it.

Originally posted by Z28Driver

87 GN = My car

Me too :D

87 GN = My car
97 Camaro = Fiancees car (in my name, but she drives it)

Originally posted by ReducedFat
Main problem with the suggestions here, I'm only 18 and money isn't exactly racing me to the speed shop while I'm working at blockbuster.

I like TR's because they don't advertise the speed. And the rotating assemblies are pretty bullitproof right? My damn firebird would shoot internals every which way if any boost was thrown at it.

All depends on how you take care of it. The inter-cooled motors are more reliable than the hot airs but they will still go boom on you. I blew an oil seal in one of my TR's and drove less than a mile with no oil. After I put a new turbo on and filled it back up with oil I discovered I also spun a bearing forcing a rebuild.

As long as your paranoid about oil and check it when you get gas the motor should last a very long time.

so you have a V8, all that noise.......FOR WHAT!?

Owned a 87 Iroc, figured I'd own the car forever, even put in a LC2 (GN motor) in it. Handled great, and with that motor it was fast. But I like my GN better, it doesn't handle as good, but the A/C is cold, will hold 5 people, a trunk bigger than my room growing up, and with over 150k miles I run low 12's on pump gas, and high 11's with the good stuff.

Re: so you have a V8, all that noise.......FOR WHAT!?

Originally posted by roc87
Owned a 87 Iroc, figured I'd own the car forever, even put in a LC2 (GN motor) in it. Handled great, and with that motor it was fast. But I like my GN better, it doesn't handle as good, but the A/C is cold, will hold 5 people, a trunk bigger than my room growing up, and with over 150k miles I run low 12's on pump gas, and high 11's with the good stuff.

Well said!

Originally posted by Z28Driver

87 GN = My car

Me three :D

87GN - MINE
99 LS1 Formy - MINE

:D If you have the money, I would keep the LT1 and get a TR, In my book both cars are A+ quality, The TR will hold its value alot better than a F Body but the sound of a open exhaust on a LT1 can't be beat, I too have driven several LT1 cars both modded and unmodded and none have been close to the TR's, LS1 is a little diffrent, I have been pleased with mine and have been in ones that have been in the 10's so doint coun't out the FBody, But the TR will move also stock or modded for alot cheeper. Thats just my 2 cents :cool:

Originally posted by 87GN_ponykillr
But the TR will move also stock or modded for alot cheeper. Thats just my 2 cents :cool:

Almost to cheap :( I find myself buying more stuff for my GN that its getting more expensive than my SS ever was. :cool: Its that nickel and dime effect, things are cheaper so you just keep buying them telling yourself "its cheaper than that [insert random part here] for my Camaro".

Originally posted by Whut
Almost to cheap :( I find myself buying more stuff for my GN that its getting more expensive than my SS ever was. :cool: Its that nickel and dime effect, things are cheaper so you just keep buying them telling yourself "its cheaper than that [insert random part here] for my Camaro".

Hell YEAH! And I love every nickel n dime spent!!! (Even though I don't have many parts in it for speed....yet) ;)

Sounds like you need to be like some of the other posers here;) :p J/K and keep your car and find a girl with a GN..:cool:

Wow, I cant believe no one warned this guy on how hot these cars are. I hope you arent planning to dirve this car everyday to work (blockbuster). You got to be very, very careful where you park these cars, they stick out easily. I know to many people who lost there Buicks due to theft. So think about it. Also, do you have agarage??

Good luck

Ralph

Originally posted by gnfanatic
Wow, I cant believe no one warned this guy on how hot these cars are. I hope you arent planning to dirve this car everyday to work (blockbuster). You got to be very, very careful where you park these cars, they stick out easily. I know to many people who lost there Buicks due to theft. So think about it. Also, do you have agarage??

Good luck

Ralph

Good point. but it also depends on where he lives. When I am at home I can park my car and leave it unlocked and nothing will happen to it (its in a garage but you know.) With a good alarm and kill switches I wouldnt think twixe about parking my car outside in my neighborhood every night.

Now my parents house on the hand. When I park there I will take my fathers impact wrench and take off my lug nuts. That way, if someone stole my car the wheels would just fall off. It also didnt matter about a garage in that neighborhood. When I lived with them and had my 84, it was stolen once while parked outside and once while parked in the garage. It really doesnt matter where you park your car if your in the wrong neighborhood. If a theif wants, they will find a way to get it. I would rather have them find a way into my garage and take it rather than finding a way to pull a gun on me while I am driving it.

Originally posted by gnfanatic

Good luck

Ralph

Good point, It is sad but true lots of people with TR's do become theft victims :(

Visuals deterrents help too, such as clubs and the like. I actually leave my doors unlocked so if a thief wants to steal anything from my empty car, they can have at it without costing me door and window damage costs.

LOUD alarms and kill switches to go along with the visual deterrents. Wheel locks are cool too.

Other than locking it up like the Pentagon--it's a BLAST!!!

I like TR's because they don't advertise the speed.

Everytime I see a GN I think to myself does he "only" run 12's or does he run 10's. I see a f body, and think to myself how much will this guy race me for:D

You want 11's a GN will be cheaper and easier to get there, BUT these car are almost 10 years older than your bird. If you buy a mint condition gn the price difference between it and your bird would be enough to easily get that lt1 into the 11's . If you buy a cheaper more "used" one you stand a better chance of gettin nickel and dimed to death with stupid stuff breaking . Shop around, and ask lots of question and you should be able to find a nice one for a nice price:) If you find the "right one" go for it. If not f body's aren't that bad:eek:

I like TR's because they don't advertise the speed.

Everytime I see a GN I think to myself does he "only" run 12's or does he run 10's. I see a f body, and think to myself how much will this guy race me for:D

You want 11's a GN will be cheaper and easier to get there, BUT these car are almost 10 years older than your bird. If you buy a mint condition gn the price difference between it and your bird would be enough to easily get that lt1 into the 11's . If you buy a cheaper more "used" one you stand a better chance of gettin nickel and dimed to death with stupid stuff breaking . Shop around, and ask lots of question and you should be able to find a nice one for a nice price:) If you find the "right one" go for it. If not f body's aren't that bad:eek: