Considering Dry Sump!

Cheeseburger

I noticed alot of guys stay away from a dry sump set up (class rules, most likely why), however i'm not worried about classes and so on.
I am considering a dry sump for various reasons, posting this thread for some insights and thoughts from those who are running a dry sump set up or those who tried or avoided it.
Pictures would be great showing tank locations etc.
Also as i had my 3 stage pump converted to a 2 stage:rolleyes: for my current wet sump setup, how many stages for your oil pump works for you?
Any Dry sump streetabilty concerns?
Thanks in Advance!

I think most steer clear of them due to clearance issues with the frame and steering, not to mention the plumbing and expense. That being said here is the new setup on mine that DLS did. It is a single stage wet sump pump with one scavenge port.
IMAG0794.jpg

I think most steer clear of them due to clearance issues with the frame and steering, not to mention the plumbing and expense. That being said here is the new setup on mine that DLS did. It is a single stage wet sump pump with one scavenge port.
IMAG0794.jpg

Looks pretty slick Chris!
I'm running my oil pump on the opposite side because of turbo/header clearance issues (wish i could have run it like that as the alternator mounting was a big headach to get right, my oil pump is where your alternator is).
Mike.

IMAG0794.jpg

Looks great!

I'm sure it was reeeal expensive too!

Thanks Guys,

No Dave it wasn't cheap but it was fair and Dan had a lot of time in it and it shows. It actually wasn't as bad as you may think either.

As you know going fast is hard to do cheap and you have made a pretty good point of that with yours. Cheap Fast Reliable; pick two lol.

Yeah, just the body would be fine.

I had an external Peterson wide/vac on an old project and the pump was very long. I custom built a mandrel for it, but it was too long.

I am working on a drysump set up now, and I was just curious what length your pump was. Originally I was planning on putting it on the passenger side, but now I am rethinking it and looking at the drivers side for plumbing ease.

Thanks for the thread Cheeseburger, maybe we can all get something out of this one :)

Thx!

Thanks Guys,

No Dave it wasn't cheap but it was fair and Dan had a lot of time in it and it shows. It actually wasn't as bad as you may think either.

As you know going fast is hard to do cheap and you have made a pretty good point of that with yours. Cheap Fast Reliable; pick two lol.

I had $250 into my junkyard mock up 4.8 motor, 5k into my 1500 HP LSX long block with junkyard heads. How much did you spend?

Did DLS have a big reality check with his pricing when his "sugar daddy's" all went LSX? Hope so, good for you...I guess?

I had my 1500 HP LSX up and running in 3 weeks, not 3 years when I lost ring seal on the junk year 4.8.

I had $250 into my junkyard mock up 4.8 motor, 5k into my 1500 HP LSX long block with junkyard heads. How much did you spend?

Did DLS have a big reality check with his pricing when his "sugar daddy's" all went LSX? Hope so, good for you...I guess?

I had my 1500 HP LSX up and running in 3 weeks, not 3 years when I lost ring seal on the junk year 4.8.
Are you running a true LSX block? Or is LSX the new slang for anything LS? Kinda like the term Stage II works for anything with a Stage II block, but still using production style heads.
Three years?

I would like to know this as well, I have a three stage pump and a single stage pump like Chris. I am contemplating on which one to use. Again street car with AC Stage II headed.
Chris, I assume there is not sump tank right? just pull from the pan and feed the motor?

Thanks
Prasad

I would like to know this as well, I have a three stage pump and a single stage pump like Chris. I am contemplating on which one to use. Again street car with AC Stage II headed.
Chris, I assume there is not sump tank right? just pull from the pan and feed the motor?

Thanks
Prasad
With a drysump, you will need to run a separate oil tank.

With a drysump, you will need to run a separate oil tank.

Donnie,
Is there any other advantage with the dry sum like getting rid of the blow by, the air bubbles in the oil and so on? What would you so as con using dry sump set up on a street car that gets driven 1000 miles a year other than the tank and plumbing?

Thanks
Prasad

Donnie,
Is there any other advantage with the dry sum like getting rid of the blow by, the air bubbles in the oil and so on? What would you so as con using dry sump set up on a street car that gets driven 1000 miles a year other than the tank and plumbing?

Thanks
Prasad
There are a few reasons why I went with a drysump;
Number ONE is SAFETY. If you blow an engine, you're not dumping 7+ quarts of oil under your tires at big mph numbers. It's not a good experience. Take it from me, I know.
2) Gets the large supply of oil away from the rotating crankshaft. Reduces internal engine drag.
3) Very stable oil supply to the engine at high accelerating, braking and cornering G forces.
4) The oil gets a good chance to deaerate in the oil supply tank before being pumped back into the block.
5) Can be setup to help evac the crankcase.

The downsides;
1) Expensive
2) Complicated
3) Special fabrication can be required to properly fit the system.
4) Maintenance keeping a check on the condition of the hoses and the pump drive belt.

After all being said, if the car will mainly be used for the street, I wouldn't bother with it. Unless the car is a real killer. Then I would do it simply for the safety factor.

I seriously DOUBT that you ever had a 8 second 109 OR that you will EVER go in the 8"s with your LSX!! They way I see it , the only thing that you have that runs is YOUR MOUTH!!! Why dont you go back to the LSX section and hide!! I seriously cant understand how the ???? you dont get banned from this site. All you ever do is bad mouth buicks!!
I got 10 grand on my Buick against your whimpy ole LSX any time!! Mike

Are you running a true LSX block? Or is LSX the new slang for anything LS? Kinda like the term Stage II works for anything with a Stage II block, but still using production style heads.
Three years?

Yes, true LSX block the one with 6 bolts per cylinder. I am still using my production junkyard cnc ported heads, 4 bolts per cylinder. When I feel the need for more power I will step up to the 6 bolt heads, for now low boost and stock heads are getting it done.