Dry sump setup ?

434nova

If I was looking to run a dry sump setup on a street car what stage pump would I need ? Is a vaccum pump a must with a dry sump setup ? Also if a block is setup for a dry sump can i convert it for wet sump this is on a stage 2 block. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You do not necessarily need a vacuum pump if you decide to run a dry sump. In fact, the scavenge stages actually pulls a small amount of vacuum. Not as much as a true vacuum pump, but enough to provide a negative crankcase pressure (and dry up small oil leaks).

A stage 2 block can be run wet sump even if the block is not drilled or tapped for it. You'll need a pan setup with an external pickup. Not hard to do if you can weld. You will need a Duttweiller pump setup and a remote oil filter setup. My Stage 2 engine had the internal pickup passages drilled, so all I needed was a pickup.

If you decide to go dry sump, I can set you up with a new Moroso pan, and a 3 stage Weaver pump. If you want to go wet sump, I can fab you a pan with a pickup and I have a Duttweiller pump setup. I have drive mandrels and other stuff too.

Question: If you are using a S2 block, where are you going to route the turbo drain? I included this into my pan as well.

Dave