Confused

This probably isn't a good car to restore unless there is less damage than what appears in the pics... You will SPEND lots of money if you want to fix it up.
Still, I'd look at it for parts if it's not restorable... Could be a source of extra parts or some extra income or, if it's not too hacked up, a secondary source for how and where things go if you purchase another tr and decide to tinker.
It is really hard to say what the damage is because when I got there one of her children were spray painting something outside but the car. That to me says that no one really cares about it. I just really need to see the car in full(engine bay ID tags, other VIN number tags) I am hoping someone just changed the dash

If that car had 10 grand cash under the seat and the car was free, to take it off someone's hands to fix it, I wouldnt' take it. No, just no. It's like buying a 25 ft boat for $500. You're going to spend $100K to fix it up and end up with a boat worth $20k. Long term, it's a loss, a big loss. When you could have spent half that on a nice car already for what, 15-20k and drive it immediately and not fix all that is wrong with it.

What do you think it will cost to make it a 20' car? I see at least 13k to do that. Just from pics and the obvious fire it's not just a patch job. An engine compartment fire will mean nasty wiring issues not to mention any previous engine damage. Engine, trans and rear are total unknowns. If why do you think they don't care about it? They know it's too expensive to fix.

go ahead and purchase the sucker...
if its too bad, parts car
if its ok, good find
nevertheless is a good cause.
how much?

If you're buying it to make it right, then you are making a big mistake in my opinion. If you want a parts car, could be ok.
If you make good money, there's a lot of nice cars that are very reasonably priced right here on the board. Think hard about this move.....good luck

I make decent money so I may be going for it

And you better be sure you'll be making decent money for a very, very long time. You can get a fast, better GN elsewhere for a lot, lot less than what you'll be sinking into this one....sorry to say, but that's what it looks like........go for an '86 or '87 GN.....if you're making decent money, you should be able to afford to get one really nice GN for yourself.

Bruce '87 Grand National

...if you're making decent money, you should be able to afford to get one really nice GN for yourself.

Bruce '87 Grand National
Exactly! And no waiting to drive it either.

The 84 Model had a "Dove Gray" interior with charcoal dash parts and steering wheel that with age, fading , and dirt may make it look brown.
I hope you do not intend to pay more than $500 for that car. The 84-85 models have the less desirable non intercooled motor and don have nearly a fraction of the high performance parts available as the 86-87.
Also the 84-85 GNs will come up as T Type on the title/VIN don't know why but they do.

where in VA are you located? There are a bunch of us all over the state, and in NC the brain trust of turbo buicks is located in Burlington at Richard Clarks shop. He has motor/trans/body shop facility, and you can work on your own car there.
Based on pics, you have a parts car and if it has G-80 posi rear, $300-$500 is all you should pay.
Carl

Also the 84-85 GNs will come up as T Type on the title/VIN don't know why but they do.

Because in 84-86 the grand national was an option on top of the T-Type.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would buy it, and then set fire to it to finish the job. There's not one part on that car I would buy to put on my car.

Funny all these guys saying to put it out of its misery. My buddy just finished his 66 mustang. Pretty much just the roof and the one quarter panel is original metal. I wonder if in 20 years people will be actually trying to restore these buckets!

My 69 Camaro only has the OE roof skin and the wiper cowl panel. Every thing else is repoped overseas crap. With the exception of the GM quarters. I paid a grand for it from behind a barn with no front clip and a seized engine. I have way more in it than it's worth. But then again I got my GN for free and will soon have more in it than I could sell it for. That's the down side of this hobby. It's for the fun not the profit. I'm sure people will be paying big money for cars that look worse just to have an original Turbo Regal or Grand National. Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't think I will go as far as I did on the camaro again. 10 year project is to long and I lost interest too many times.

upload_2014-12-23_22-39-14.png

1984 GN interior color

If you take on this project, do yourself a favor and do not keep a running total on what you spend, you will go insane when you realize what you have spent ....I do applaud you for wanting to save one but ....Good luck

Bryan

Funny all these guys saying to put it out of its misery. My buddy just finished his 66 mustang. Pretty much just the roof and the one quarter panel is original metal. I wonder if in 20 years people will be actually trying to restore these buckets!

It's funny that you would say that....I was kind of wondering the same thing. I do think it's a little early to spend a ton of money restoring really rough Regal body's but as time goes by we have to use what is available to us.

Don't do it! Please. No one here is going to steer you in the wrong direction on this. You said you made decent money? Then spend it on something else. In the years to come, when you have a garage full of stock leftover parts from all the mods you made to a Turbo Buick that runs.........Then you can use those parts to take on a project like that. Besides, don't even buy it as a parts car. Stock struff is easy to come by. Hell, I gave all my shit away!

Also, like mentioned earlier, the GNX louvers are too high. So, IMO, the fenders are junk too.