Computer problem with DVD writer

mydesigner

BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!!!!!
I just bought a internal Memorex Dual Layer DVD Writer and am having some problems installing it. I took out one of my CD drives since i had two and only need one. Hooked it all up and when i first start the computer the light comes on on the drive showing that it works but when i try open it when the computer is all booted up it doesn't work. I went to the device manager on Win XP and the drive is not listed i tried the add new hardware and it doesn't detect it. What do i do, customer support is closed till monday and i am really wanting to burn some DVD's.

Master, Slave or cable select

Did you set the jumper on the back of the drive correctly?

Well the two drives that were in it had cable select chosen, assuming the prongs are in the same order cause there not labeled, so i tried the cable select, nothing, then the instructiions said if you have problems you can change the DVD to master and the second one to slave but that didn't work. What do you mean by jumper?

The jumper is what you use to change the master,slave,cable select option on the back of the drives.You need to double check all the settings cause the problem you describe is what happens when the jumpers are not right.The easyest way to tell is unplug your other drive both power and the IDE cable and boot up with the DVD drive alone and see if windows can see it then,if it does you know the jumper are wrong for the master,slave ect ect...

HTH
John BTW good answer bryan