Computer Guru's...I need help..long

6pack

T-Time
Someone or something is using my email address to send spam mail to other people. It happened a couple of weeks ago so I changed my password to log on to my aol account. Well I checked my sent mail this morning when I got home and there are like 10 emails sent to people that I did not send(wasn't even at home or logged onto my computer at the time)and people that are not even in my address book. They were all other aol users by the way. My questions are..how can I stop this? How can I find out who did this? And what actions should I take? Really makes me :mad: because if one of them reports me for spamming(which I did not do)aol shuts down my account till I log in under a different password then I have to verify all my info and on and on. TIA for any info:)

Do you have a virus protection program? Also, have you checked for backdoor worms, etc? I'm not incredibly familiar with AOL since I haven't used it in almost ten years. But that's what it sounds like to me.

Also, have you written AOL about this problem? Is it actually coming from your computer or is it coming thru AOL? Was you computer actually connected to the internet at the time the emails were sent. I had something similar happen with my yahoo account that was happening when I wasn't even logged on to the internet. I wrote yahoo about it so they didn't cancel my account. Soon thereafter, it mysteriously stopped.

Chris,
It must be thru aol because I was not logged on to the net:confused: I will email them and see what they say. Thanks

I picked up a virus a few months ago that did the same thing. It would randomly email people in my address book. Run Nortons on your computer and see what it turns up.

Computer Problems

Don't email aol call these turkeys and tell them what the problem is also get a good anti virius program and keep your computer free of these kinds of things if you don't you are in for big trouble later.

Roger

Originally posted by 6pack
All of them were aol users and none of them are in my address book:confused:

Run Nortons and see what it tells you. I am not on AOL so it might be a different virus....or of course you might have email elves that only come out at night and use your account to spam the world.

Get a virus program!

I've got an anti-virus program. Did the scan before I went to work last night and nothing came up......no viruses detected. And I am using nortons.:confused: After I changed my password it did not happen last night.