Computer Frames studder

1QWIK6

Torque wins
I have a 1.73G AMD Windows XP computer with a GeTi4200 64mb video card.

Problem.. Lately the games I play (Vietcong, Operation Flashpoint, Blackhawk down, etc) all seem to have frame studder... It flows smoothly for a few seconds, then pauses for a 1/2 second then repeats. This just started happening a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was online lag, but it's my computer. I havn't changed anything recently. What could be causing my problem?

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up the task manager, and click the Processes tab. Sort all the processes by Memory Usage by clicking the appopriate table button at the top right. Make sure you don't have a lot of useless programs running that are taking up over 10,000-15,000K of memory... then sort by "CPU" or CPU Usage, and watch for any programs that jump to the top several times using more than 10% of the total process, that means they are intermittently using your CPU process, which may cause your on and off slowdowns.

If that doesn't work, go to your desktop and right click, and click Properties. click the settings tab, and click the "Advanced..." button at the bottom right. Geforce cards have an extra tab(s) that usually say the chip type, in your case a Geforce 4 Ti4200... click that tab. On the extended white window that pops up on the left side, click "Performance & Quality Settings" and it should bring you to a new window with a bunch of sliders. Make sure anti-aliasing is off, Intellisample settings are set to Performance, and Anisotropic Filtering is off.

Two more things... I know this is a lot of junk to sort through ;) Click "Direct 3D" settings in the white extended window, and make sure the Mipmap detail level is set to "high peformance". Then click "OpenGL Settings" in the white extended window and make sure Vertical Sync is set to "Always Off".

That should fix any problems you have with frame loss. You can toy with all these settings to balance between performance and quality and see what suits your system best. Hope that helps. :cool:

If you are positive that nothing has changed lately.. then it's a bit tricky. I would suggest you make sure your video and audio drivers are updated, then maybe to a virus scan and a spyware scan.. maybe defrag the hard drive.

It might be a good idea to test the stuttering.. if its happening at an exact interval, it's probably a video or cpu/ram usage. If it's happening more randomly, it could be a sound issue. Try lowering some of the sound settings and see if it persists.

Good luck sorting it out. :)

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunatly, the problem still presists. I tried reinstalling/updating the drivers (on the video card) to no effect. I dont see where I can adjust things like "desktop and right click, and click Properties. click the settings tab, and click the "Advanced..." button at the bottom right. Geforce cards have an extra tab(s) that usually say the chip type, in your case a Geforce 4 Ti4200... click that tab. On the extended white window that pops up on the left side, click "Performance & Quality Settings" and it should bring you to a new window with a bunch of sliders. Make sure anti-aliasing is off, Intellisample settings are set to Performance, and Anisotropic Filtering is off."

When I did hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down Windows Explorer, the lagging disappeared. But that is a MAJOR problem, because unless u are dedicated to JUST playing the game, it sucks not to be able to go back to windows (explorer).

Any other suggestions?

Okay, well the weird thing about windows is that they tie the basic shell (taskbar, icons on desktop, mouse clicking ability) and the filemanager together.

(Ignore this part if you aren't a computer expert!!) The good thing is, there are alternative shells and file managers. There are some "easy" to use shells like sharpE and geoShell, and some "hard" to use shells like litestep and blackbox for windows, just to name a few. There are way too many alternative file managers to start listing them all, but I have used 2xExplorer with good success in the past. You should be able to google any of the programs listed above, drop me a line if you are interested and need help. (Stop ignoring)

The good thing about winXP is that even if you kill the explorer shell, I'm pretty sure you can just ctrl-alt-del, go to the task manager, and in the applications tab, click "new task", type explorer in, and slap the enter key. The shell should restart.

With ALL of that said, if shutting down the shell & file manager stops all your problems, I don't really have any suggestions to fix it other then the virus and spyware scans I suggested before. Good luck.

One thing that works for me

1) I would go through and disable or turn off all of the little items that are running in your taskbar that you can spare. This includes virus protection, Instant messengers, and fancy screensavers. This should free up processor time, if that's the issue.

2) Clean out your temporary internet files folder, and delete any cookies you don't KNOW that you need.

3) I would also try tweaking down the quality settings on the game and see if the problem goes away.

4) More likely, I think the problem might be related to memory and disk fragmentation. (If you don't know what fragmentation is, basically it happens when your computer tries to save a file and can't save it all in one place. It saves bits of it where it can and the file takes longer to access because all of the bits are scattered and have to be reassembled to present them to you. Here's a quote on the subject from some guys that sell software to fix the problem: "Disk fragmentation cuts directly across the integrity of your system. Files fragmented into 200 pieces take 200 times longer to access. Files shattered into 200,000 pieces will take 200,000 times longer, and so on... And, that's just one computer and one file! ") I would run the defragmenter built into your system and see if that takes care of the problem.

I think your issue won't be fixed by just running defrag, though. Your Windows system is designed to use part of the hard drive space as an extenstion to the memory in the system. It takes things out of memory and saves them to a file, and the size of that file grows and shrinks as your system's memory needs change. That file can get fragmented over time just like any other file that is saved fairly often. System performance takes a big hit when this memory pagefile is fragmented because the system has to wait to access things in memory.

So, here's what I would do:
- Right click on the my computer icon and click properties on the popup menu
- Click on the advanced tab of the window that pops up
- Click on the Performance Settings button
- Click on the advanced tab of the window that pops up
- Click on the change button in the Virtual Memory pane at the bottom of the window
- Write down the sizes and locations of your pagefiles so you can restore them later
- Click on the button that says no paging file. This will temporarily delete that pagefile so you can rebuild it.
- Click OK and/or apply on all of the windows that you just opened to apply the settings
- Reboot if it asks you to. Click OK if it gives you an error message about not having a pagefile
- run your defragmenter again following the reboot. This will consolidate all of that free space that you just freed up by deleting the pagefile.
- Once defrag finishes, run it again.
- After it finishes the second time, reverse the changes you made to the pagefile settings, and reboot.

By going through that process you will have defragmented your pagefile as best you can, and you should see some performance improvement.

If you do all of these, I think that will stop the dropped frames.

- Freed