CompCam 978 or 980?

timothydog

I'm going to order some valve springs today.

I just wanted to know the difference between the CC980 and the CC978. My motor has 150k miles and I don't want to wipe the cam. If I read correctly, the 980's are rated 85lbs. What about the 78's?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

With all the research I did in this BB on the valve springs, the CC980's were the most favorite just by an edge over the others. I just recently ordered mine from Ramchargers. Do a search on CC980's or valve springs.

Dannyo

I went ahead and ordered the 980's from the local Car Shop here.
They should have them for me tomorrow. It's going to be a funnnnn weekend.. LoL.

Tim:

I just did these this past winter in my T. I did a lot of research and it seemed like the consesus was use the 979's with the stock cups or use the 980's as they come without the cups that you will find on the original springs.

I ended up taking out the internal dampner on the 980's and re-used the stock cups when I did it.

Car runs great. Sorry I missed you guys at Cordova. Car would have run fast as all the bumpers, trim, header panel are off! ;)

Joel

Hey Joel,
Can't wait for another big Buick gathering.
I swear I won't break my wastegate arm next time! haha.

Maybe we can sneak Roger back out there with a fake rollcage inside his car so he can run a low 10 again.

Tim

Tim,

You better NOT break another wastegate arm since you have MINE on there! ;)

I didn't use the cups on my WE4 with the 980s and other than the headgasket (DOH!) it seemed fine!