Comparing stock spark advance tables...

Spark Advance

I wanted to make sure everyone had the complete picture but my snapshot of the final main spark table after the ECM modifies it exceeds this site's file size limit. Sorry about that. The mods are not dramatic but there is an adjustment for coolant temp (my example shows 154 degF) and if the throttle is over 50%, the ECM substitutes a portion of the main table with the WOT advance table (shaded yellow in example).

As for tuning your own chips, I agree with Paul that a TT chip will save you headaches but if you have the resources to mod chips and you really enjoy the learning aspect of the whole process, then go for it. I personally never liked the "black box" approach to engine management which is what prompted my research and the same with others like Eric (TT).

My 2 cents on "home made" chip changes is make small adjustments then test using a data logger. Also if you don't fully understand what the numbers are and how they're used then don't change them.

As for the main spark table, I think its been generally accepted that a few degrees can be added below 2200 rpm, a few should be removed above that (especially at higher LV8s).

Carl, thanks for digging up the 2002 post. I kept getting flashbacks of what we had to go through back then to get accurate information. Ah. the good ol' days.;)

Dennis

Attached is the final spark advance table I tried to upload earlier. Its a zipped jpg.

Again, this is the timing after the coolant temp adjustment at 154 degF and the TPS is greater than 50% for stock 86/87 TR.

Dennis

Attachments

• MainAdvWOT154a.zip
    108.9 KB · Views: 120
David,
Looks like ANOTHER alabama engineered sleeper build? :biggrin: For you guys who might have missed david's previous venture(s), you'll no doubt find this fun to look at.... super-awesome detailed build info...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/272054-lg3-3-8-turbo-century-build-pictures.html

At the end of that thread, there is a link for videos of the finished turbo LG3/4T65E Century at 18 psi in action! :biggrin: One can only imagine what must be the look on people's faces when he goes by with the front wire wheels smoking/screeching... :eek::p

David does us Buick guys real proud!! :wink:

just found this thread thought ide join up .ive turboed my N/A buick 3800 in my holden commodore im from down the bottom of the planet in newzealand next to australia LOL.im running MAP based tunes not MAF and tuning in realtime with wideband etc have plenty of spark tables and other findings from testing and tuning if you want any car was built specifically as a testbench for code testing.heres a pic of my setup its evolved a bit since was a quick $1000 throw together as well have since replaced a lot of the 2.5 inch cooler pipe with 3 inch.running cheapo T70 .83 hot.70 cold turbo. 38mm wastegate 300x600 front mount cooler 39lb injectors 2bar map sensor tre performance 255L/hr pump and surge tank fully stock internals engine as it came when i bought the car

Attachments

• sta 006.jpg
    sta 006.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 573
I know it's an old thread, but it seems to be the most appropriate to what I'm looking for as well.
I'm putting a Buick GN engine into another car (stock turbo, ported intake/heads, roller valvetrain, 36lb inj, pump gas), and am controlling it with MegaSquirt.
If someone could re-post (or email to me: colmor at gmail) the stock ignition table I'd greatly appreciate it!
-Colin

Still working on the spark table, having to interpolate it down to 12x12.
Also, I'm running MAP system.. I can't find a straight answer about converting LV8 values to KPA. I've seen mentioned to use KPA range 20-100 in place of LV8 32-208. But when in boost the spark won't change any more.
Should I use KPA 20-260 since that's the full range of my engine "load" just like the LV8 range is 32-255?
I've seen people mention a conversion ratio between the two for our GN engines but I can't find it. That PDF link is no longer good. :-/
Any help appreciated! :)