Companies/rates that insure Turbo Buicks

Boostian

Ok since I've had my Buick I've been insured with an agreed upon value with State Farm. My renewal came in and I realized I'm paying way to much for car insurance.

I called Geico and they offered me a much lower rate for my other two vehicles (nearly half of what I'm paying now) but initially stated they would not be able to insure the Buick because they could not determine if a methanol system fell under "nitrous" and because it's occasionally raced. They are looking into it and gettin back to me.

So here's my question:

I'd like to insure all 3 of my cars with the same company. I was only paying about $15 for full coverage with State Farm on the Buick. If i can't, anyone have any suggestions for companies? I can't be the first one here with this issue....

State Farm here for everything. I've tried to get quoted by Geico, Progressive, Allstate, and a couple others over the years for fun and State Farm is always about the same or cheaper. Some no names have been a little cheaper, but nothing significant. Make sure they are quoting you the EXACT same coverage. I had a couple folks come in way less and then I realized that they were trying to sneak in a high deductible, low bodily injury, etc to get the rate down. Once I had them quote apples to apples they were usually higher. That being said I have nothing but excellent service from State Farm and would be scared to go anywhere else.

I've been in the insurance business for about 25 years now, and have owned my own shop for 10 years. If I could make some suggestions - and I don't mean this with any sarcasm.

Find yourself an agent or broker that you are comfortable with. Basically, interview them. Most agents should have multiple companies that they represent, including some of those "direct" guys like Allstate, Progressive, etc. Now instead of you (and I mean whoever, not "you") contacting Allstate, State Farm, Progressive, GEICO, etc... you have someone else doing the legwork for you.

Contrary to popular belief, it does not necessarily cost you more to work with an agent or broker. Yes, they work on a commission to get paid. But rates are rates. Each insurance company is filed for set rates in a given state. So if Company A says we get $100 to insure a car worth $10,000 with $100,000 in liability (these are just made up numbers), they can't, by law, randomly say we want $500 to insure that car so we can pay the insurance broker their commission.

The idea of having an agent/broker is to have someone that actually understands insurance in order to help you. Look, when we need to re-wire our house, we call an electrician. If our toilet is backed up, we call a plumber. If we break a finger, we go to a doctor. For guys like me who can't turn a wrench, I pay a mechanic. Again I don't mean any disrespect with this, but I think too many people have no idea what they are doing with insurance, yet so many of them feel they can handle their coverage selections by themselves. Aside from your car potentially being an asset, consider the fact that we live in a highly litigious society. One wrong click of a button on the screen, and you could really be selecting insurance that just isn't right - either for your car, or for your financial security if something horrible were to happen (i.e. an accident involving injuries).

Insurance policies are lengthy and tedious. Even after 25 years in the business, trust me, if legal action were to ensue in the event of a loss, attorney's can dig through that policy and spin it in ways that you'd never think.

Which leads to the next point: Again, in the event of an accident or loss, by having an agent, you now actually have someone that should be on your side. A claims person to contact the company. Most of them should have the bat-line right to the company. You? You're stuck dialing an 800 number and entering a boatload of info to the computerized voice only to have a person eventually pick up so you can tell them your info all over again. Someone to help you sort through all the verbiage and potential legalities of the policy could be beneficial.

Last thing: despite my involvement in the insurance business, I still use an agent for ALL my personal insurance. For exactly the reasons I mentioned above. I want somebody that's on my side, and in the event that something is eff'd up on my policy, I have someone else to fall back to. I'd much rather have somebody (and that could be the customer service rep, the claims manager, and maybe even an owner if your lucky) in the ring with me if I have to go an battle the 800# insurance company gorilla.

Man, I hate insurance. :)

All really good points. I've used a broker a long time ago and it was a great experience. Having an agent ask all the right questions and explain all the options in detail to make sure you get the appropriate coverage is key. Those insurance sites where you "choose what you would like to pay" are a joke. I've been lucky enough to have a great agent for the last 15 years.

X3
I use an agent. Insurance is complicated and having someone that knows the pitfalls of cheaping out and benefits of bundling and shopping around pays off. The same agent does my house, sleds, musclecars, kids cars and most important since Im in Mass and Mass has the worst RMV in the US, my agent does the registry business in house or sends a runner so no more dealing with the RMV or waiting in lines and taking abuse from a bitchy clerk . no brainah!

My agent just insured my Turbo T w/ Grundy for $20K AGREED, full coverage, for $280 a yr.
I signed the forms, gave her 1 pic, and the check... Done deal w/ a binder to get the tags.
Took about 20 mins.

A good friend of mine is a State Farm agent and I have all my vehicles with him. He needs pics of all the older agreed value cars each year. He usually comes out and takes pics, but my custom '65 Vette is getting a new all alum engine and was across town so told him I would send him pics of the cars at my house and he could go get pics of the Vette which wasn't far from his office. Just trying to save him some time. I send the pics to his secretary and she forwarded to the proper State Farm department. Well, they came back and said the cannot insure the GN anymore due to the fuel cell! My agent wasn't as detailed as I with the pics in the past. Now I have to find insurance just for the GN!:mad:

With Hagerty I am paying $550 a year just checked at Grundy while at the Autorama and it was $360 with 0 deductibles with 20K agreed value. so switching over. If I had historical plates it would be just over $200 a year

With Hagerty I am paying $550 a year just checked at Grundy while at the Autorama and it was $360 with 0 deductibles with 20K agreed value. so switching over. If I had historical plates it would be just over $200 a year

I had Grundy years ago and changed because the great rate I was paying was due to it being considered as a parade car. May not have been covered for recreational driving unless there was a parade or car show nearby. Mileage was limited too. You may have already checked, but for everyone else read the fine print.

Well update here. And thank you all for the great info so far.

Geico called me back and flat out said they would not insure ANY of my cars. Said because I race the Buick at the track once or twice per year they wouldn't insure it. Then they also stated the my 08 Impreza (base model stick shift non-WRX) is also a "frequently drag raced vehicle" so they would not insure anything. I legit laughed on the phone.

I cannot get most speciality collector companies to insure me because the Buick isn't garage kept, it's driveway kept under a cover.

How do I find an independent agent? My previous State Farm guy had a younger co-worker that was great. Real squared away, professional. He left the office. Then the owner of the office died out of the blue and now I have a new guy with a bunch of what seems to be inept assistants. Really unhappy with my service and the pricing for my two daily-driven vehicles.

I use gieco for my regular cars hagerty and grundy for my others. my parents have been with the same statefarm agent for the past 25 yrs . they have everything with him house business cars etc etc real gentleman and hes only two blocks form the house, . I too would like to switch over to an agent. this is great info.

I heard word of mouth that it's a good idea to switch every 5 years regardless. Something about companies giving better rates to newer customers. Im sure with an independent agent he/she could figure out the best deal for yoi

Try AAA. I have a membership for towing and such and also use them for home and auto. They beat everyone hands down! (I have a WRX, supercharged truck and another dd car- all 3 insured for around $750 for the year!)
You won't get a cheap collector policy if you don't have a garage.

Americancollectors.com Mine is insured for $28k @ $240/year with 5k miles allowed. The car does need to be stored inside a garage, maybe you can talk to them and get an exemption.

I, too, have American Collectors- they require a locking garage. I've already asked about this.

I feel like there must be some kind of catch with my car. I supposedly have 20k agreed value, and I pay $78 a year with no mileage restriction. They took pictures, told them garage kept with security system, etc. Only "problem" with my policy I find is uninsured motorist on classic car insurance is 10k.

Idk I guess I should re evaluate. Hagerty refused to cover my car because I said I want to drive it a few thousand miles a year. At first they were going to insure for $800 year then not at all. Then State Farm quoted me $78 a year. I dont understand. I need to look over my paperwork again