Comp Roller Cam Install Question ???

onmyway87

I am thinking of installing a billet roller cam in my GN ..I bought champion iron heads so i think its only right..but i could be wrong..i have no problems out of my flat tappet cam, besides the fact that its 25 years old. To make a long story short I have no idea what im doing !!!..I have the top end off and going to pretty much freshen up the entire top end but I have never swapped a cam in these 3.8s ..what do i need to know or should i just replace the timing chain, front cover etc..and call it a day ??? Besides the cam kit is $900:eek:is it worth it?? any and all advice is appreciated..and yes all this came about from a blown HG ofcourse ...

Why do you think you need a billet cam? Is it some special lobes you are looking at? An austempered cam will go a long way and between pushrods, lifters, cam, and springs you will still be upwards of $800. You need to set the cam thrust and setup the springs.

Why do you think you need a billet cam? Is it some special lobes you are looking at? An austempered cam will go a long way and between pushrods, lifters, cam, and springs you will still be upwards of $800. You need to set the cam thrust and setup the springs.

I think the OP may have been confused when he posted billet. Since he is referring to a kit, I'm assuming he meant a hydraulic roller/roller cam kit from a vendor.

Speaking of cam kits, do you know why they recently jumped about 20$ in cost? I remember them being 805$ for a morel kit, now its 825$. Seemed outta the blue.

You blew the HG's did you have anitfreeze mix with the oil? If so..I bet the bearings took a hit and should be checked.

WIth that said and lets say the bearing are good. IMO its best when doing a cam swap is to go ahead and port your front cover and setup the oil pump while its off.
If the sidewalls of the oil pump cavity is scored and worn then a new cover should be installed.

I recommend DLS for the cam, thrust button kit, timing set and lifters. When you speak to Dan have your goal and what you want to do and what you have in mind...figure tha out and get somedirection. Dan will give you the best cam for what you want. Not sure if Jegs or Dan would be cheaper on the springs.

Also going to need a piston stop and degree wheel to degree the cam in.

Thats a few pointers

if its a comp cams kit then dont use the valve springs they suppply. ask me how i know

I've installed MANY of the austemper Comp cam kits from Full Throttle. Never had an issue with the supplied springs. Fill us in? I've run my engine to 6800+ rpm many times with the conical (beehive) springs and it has never missed a beat. Maybe you had a bad batch?

Turbofabricator,
How do the austemper cams from Full Throttle control fore and aft movement?
Mike

I've installed MANY of the austemper Comp cam kits from Full Throttle. Never had an issue with the supplied springs. Fill us in? I've run my engine to 6800+ rpm many times with the conical (beehive) springs and it has never missed a beat. Maybe you had a bad batch?

125 lbs of seat pressure simply isnt enough from the many people ive talked too if you have heavy roller rockers and heavy roller lifters...i cant push any rpm

The cam thrust is controlled with a shimmed roller assembly.

The springs usually seat at 130+ lbs. Shims or non off-set keepers will net you more. The kit contains off set keepers (.050") to lower seat pressure. Installed heighth detirmines seat pressure. I have not had a single issue with the supplied springs, even on engines making over 700 hp. Maybe I'm lucky. It's always better to be lucky than good. 'Cause even good guys have bad luck.;)

The cam thrust is controlled with a shimmed roller assembly.

The springs usually seat at 130+ lbs. Shims or non off-set keepers will net you more. The kit contains off set keepers (.050") to lower seat pressure. Installed heighth detirmines seat pressure. I have not had a single issue with the supplied springs, even on engines making over 700 hp. Maybe I'm lucky. It's always better to be lucky than good. 'Cause even good guys have bad luck.;)

Sam Goldwyn

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."