Cold Air Kits

Limited T

Who's making some of the better cold air kits these
days ?. Been 18 years since my last Buick and things have changed a lot .

Thanks

Lemme save you some time: General consensus is, just get a solid pipe, as short as possible, from the turbo to the air filter. Fuck all that cold air/ram air nonsense. Only problem you might run into is an off-throttle rich response if running the MAF too close to the turbo...at least that's been my experience from trying ALL different sorts of setups. In other words, run the straightest path to the turbo but keep the MAF at least 18" or so from the turbo inlet or the MAF will "see" the backflow as additional air and the ECM will add fuel, thus resulting in a rich spike of fuel when you let off the throttle.

FYI, those running the new plastic design LS1 MAFs, I betcha my bottom dollar you are seeing rich spikes on throttle lift-off, no?

most cold air kits available from our vendors are very nice.... Cold/ram air "nonsense" has been on some 9/8 second cars

Last edited:
Out of all the bolt-ons/mods for your GN, this one you can make your self, and you will see the same gains as the $200 cold air intakes others sell.

You will get the same performance out of a $50 home built CAI, as you would a $200 one, however with the home built version, you can apply that $150 to other areas of the car.

Whether the pipe is shiny chrome, or dull metal, it will perform just as good.

I run Marks on my 9 second car best looking, functioning on the market and you wont beat the customer service

most cold air kits available from our vendors are very nice.... Cold/ram air "nonsense" has been on some 9/8 second cars

So has the non cold air set-ups. Cold air kits only cool your air at idle. On my IAT and ambient sensors, I noticed a 10 degree difference between the two air temps of my hai and cai set up. Pretty much worthless.

Don't forget how hot the ground is in the summer when your air filter is 6" off the blacktop drawing air...

When jw held the 109 record he ran ram air...(one of the few I saw in tsm)...he was fairly untouchable for a while...maybe it was all the little "nonsense" adding up...

Fwiw I have had mine setup both ways and I don't run one

For fun at BG this year I drove up and made one pass on a bone stock 87 airbox on my mid 10 sec car. It only ran 11.2. I put the 4 inch LS7 based intake back on and went 10.6 and picked up 10mph in the 1/4. I'm going to say the stock intake is a restriction. Get one from Mark at buickgn.com, his customer service is second to none.

I just installed the Hot Air version sold by TR Custom Parts. It's a nice unit. Make sure you let him know if you've got the LS1 MAF to adjust the length of the straight pipe but other than that it fits great.

Last edited:
buickgn.com shortly style air intake is nice but for me they don't ship to Canada no more, I have the shorty style version in chrome, that I bought awhile back. Recently I wanted to go with the plain alum for stock appearance to match the engine,,,,no go, I think it's a shipping issue that went wrong with somebody else, I tryed emailing buickgn.com no answer. I gotta find a pipe somewhere else.

Last edited:
No Comment............were done, thx ............................................................

I've got Mark's CAI kit on mine. Just personal preference but I think they look neater with the filter out of the engine bay. Both are better than stock. My bet is unless you've got a max tilt race car any difference in performance would be negligible for 99% of this board.