COIL PACK Questions

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I need a new coil pack. Kirban sells OEM for $59. Full Throttle Sells for a "high performance" unit for $69. What's the difference? I can't find specs...

$10 ? :biggrin:
I bought an Accel coil, no real specs just claims of xx% greater output etc. Works fine so far. Got it from Jegs and it's black, not Accel yellow.

The ones Kirban sells are manufactured by Magnavox, the original OEM manufacturer. They have plenty of fire for your car all the way to low 10's. Not sure if thats the same ones FT are selling, I bet they are.

Thanks for the info( almost exactly what I was looking for). My whole gripe is that these vendors say " hi output" or "10% better peak output" etc, but no one gives any baseline numbers to compare their claims. Thus, I am supposing that anyone could make any old arbitrary claim and assume that people would buy their product based upon these claims.

Am I being too nit-picky? I mean, if the stock coil is good to the 10's, WHY do I need a hi-po unit? Will I get better low end grunt, will I get better throttle response or better fuel economy? What is the benefit?

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a subject of common knowledge...It's just something I'm not familair with.

I up-graded due to the age of the original and some tuning issues. Thought I was having spark blow-out and bought a "better" coil as an extra insurance.

I'd consider it extra insurance too if I knew what "extra" I was getting. I don't want to fall for a fancy new package or slogan and end up paying more for a product that is not any better or substantially better than the unit it proclaims to be better than.

Thus, I go back to the question. What is the baseline for the stock Coil Pack vs. the Hi-po unit from Full Throttle vs. the Accel unit?

Do all TR owners just buy based on advertising? I don't believe it for a second... So far, TR's owners have been some of the most informed consumers of parts that I have found.

Hey,I think youre very mean :( and angry cause your........SLOW :biggrin: I knew you would pop up sooner or later, gimme my doughnuts....

Sir, I'm not mean or angry. I just want the straight scoop.

Besides these matters should not concern you as this only concerns grown folks with cars faster than 14 seconds. And since you are neither grown nor possess a car that is capable of passing a one-legged pigeon from a stand still, I suggest that you seek free donuts elsewhere... :biggrin:

Don't make me bring out Angry Black and have give you and slow gay..uh.. I mean slow grey... a public flogging. :eek:

Is the Accel unit using brass connectors? :confused: I'm also thinking of replacing my original unit and have the same questions you guys are asking.

crazyv6 said:
Is the Accel unit using brass connectors? :confused: I'm also thinking of replacing my original unit and have the same questions you guys are asking.
Yes, the Accel coil has the brass towers. That's how I knew I was getting what was advertised, not just a stocker reboxed ;)

I bought a new Borg & Warner (sp?) coil pack from Pep Boys and have had no problems with it in about 4 months so far. Also replaced the ignition module with a Magnavox unit from NAPA at the same time.

Pep Boys is definitely not top of the line, but it sure as **** beats AutoZone. I think GhettoZone sells Wells brand items which are crap from what I've heard.

Hey, how's this for an advertising catchphrase:

The stock coil setup is already considered "high output"

turbo39151 said:
Sir, I'm not mean or angry. I just want the straight scoop.

Besides these matters should not concern you as this only concerns grown folks with cars faster than 14 seconds. And since you are neither grown nor possess a car that is capable of passing a one-legged pigeon from a stand still, I suggest that you seek free donuts elsewhere... :biggrin:

Don't make me bring out Angry Black and have give you and slow gay..uh.. I mean slow grey... a public flogging. :eek:
-------------------------
If you sold that junker, you could save the money that you are getting ready to spend, on something important, like............... donuts.
J/K, Louis. If it was me, I would get the Kirban.

GEEEZZZ!!! Even Wells has to get in on the action?!?!. Don't you fellas have somehting better to do than pick on me? :cool:

"Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful".... :biggrin: :p

oh yea, and fast too :eek:

Sorry, Sire, got bored. Going to Woodley Park with the moon roofed ghetto sled?

Probably won't be making any other shows this summer, unfortunately. Pressing business will most likely keep me occupied through July. After July, I'm hoping to have some time and money to work on the White "Bucket" to try an have her ready for the Bates show next year... We'll see

My research...

I am also interested in the original question from turbo39151 of whether to choose Accel over stock. I was thinking of changing my original hot-air setup to the 86/7 coil combo utilizing a bunch of Casper's upgrades described in another place on this forum...

But based on Page 14 of the Accel Catalog it says I can use the coil from 1984-1992 ????

Copy / Paste

go.mrgasket.com/pdf/74283G.pdf

Here is directly from the page...

GM MAGNAVOX DIS SUPER COIL
PACK FOR 1992-84 BUICK V6
Re-engineered to be the only true high performance Magnavox style DIS
coil pack for Buick V6 engines. An absolute must for Street/Strip use in
Turbo Regals, Grand Nationals, GNX’s and the ‘89 Turbo Trans Am.
Constructed with new section bobbin technology, specialized silicone
magnetic steel core, along with optimized low resistance windings and high
turns ratio results in higher energy and voltage output and longer arc
duration. This is critical in highly pressurized turbo charged engines.
Compatible with OE computer controlled ignition system as well as a
Crane or MSD capacitive discharge DIS ignition systems. Special high
temperature encapsulation resists shock and vibration, while increasing
thermal conductivity. Brass contacts increases energy transfer and resists
corrosion better than aluminum. High dielectric strength black over
molded housing. Comes complete with mounting hardware and gaskets.
Adapter Plate included for 1986-84 applications.
Specifications Tested with OE Buick coil driver
Primary Resistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.7 Ohms
Secondary Resistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12.3 k Ohms
Turns Ratio . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .86 : 1
Maximum Voltage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .42,000 volts
Peak Increase in Energy vs. OE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .10%
Peak Increase in Voltage vs. OE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .9%
Peak Increase in Arc Duration vs. OE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6%
Peak Increase in Current vs. OE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8%
GM Magnavox DIS Super Coil
Pack for 1992-84 Buick V6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .140016

I also couldn't fing any specs on the others...

I don't mind spending 10% more for 10% more...