Coil and Control Module

LITLV6

WESTSIDE LOWRIDERS
Hey ya'll. I've been chasin some problems with my 86 GN. I've had a sputter, lean pop, ignition issue of some sort hounding me for a year now. This problem occurred when i bought it but then went away until early last year and came back. The car runs great until about 15lbs. of boost and then it pops and all the boost drops and builds back......... I believe i may have it narrowed down to the Control Module/ ignition coil being the culprit.

The other day i tried to purchase a coil to try that and discovered the AC Delco coil #d552 has six spade terminals underneath that are straight down off the bottom. The original has those terminals bent 90 degrees for the wires that attach to them from the control module. Is that the right coil????? or is that made for a revised control module that those straight blades would plug into rather than the one with the six wire leads. Is that wording confusing??? lol

At any rate, does anyone know where i can buy a new coil and controle module that MATCH??? please help. :confused:

A lot of new coil packs come with the spade lugs straight. You just bend them over when you install it. You don't want them digging in the potting material. You could short something out :eek:

A lot of new coil packs come with the spade lugs straight. You just bend them over when you install it. You don't want them digging in the potting material. You could short something out :eek:

oh, so its not uncommon to see that then? i thought about just doing that but i had reservations about whether it was the right thing to do or not.

What about the seal thats between them? its like an old gasket material. what is yours and everyone elses take on that? is there a way to get another or is it not really needed? Thanks for your input mikestertwo and anyone else that has 2 pennies worth about it.:biggrin:

www.nos4gn will have everything u need from nos coils and modules to aftermarket
The gasket u were wanting even the sticker that goes on the side of the coil

www.nos4gn will have everything u need from nos coils and modules to aftermarket
The gasket u were wanting even the sticker that goes on the side of the coil

Thanks for the tip! I just went ahead and ordered from them. hopefully this will complete my chase lol :biggrin:

I was having the same symptoms as you, and after replacing with a NOS coil & module, all is well. Hope that's your issue as well.

I was having the same symptoms as you, and after replacing with a NOS coil & module, all is well. Hope that's your issue as well.

Thats a comforting thought if you've already been through it.... i hope your right, we'll see soon for sure

I had a similar problem back in '02 and Jay Carter suggessted I change my valve springs. How right he was. Had two that were weak ant the boost was not allowing them to operate properly.

Hope yours is a ignition problem. Much less time involved!!!

I had a similar problem back in '02 and Jay Carter suggessted I change my valve springs. How right he was. Had two that were weak ant the boost was not allowing them to operate properly.

Hope yours is a ignition problem. Much less time involved!!!

Thanks for the input. i'm not sure if i may need to go there if this doesnt work. i just cant imagine what else it could be outside of something else like that. another thing i cant figure out is why the problem stopped for a year and a half!!! :(

Go for a Type II ignition swap?

You might want to consider this option before you replace the old-style ignition module...

Type II ignition swap

Turbo Buick discussions here and here

Some have claimed higher reliability and rumors of improved spark (others have dismissed the better spark as false), and price might be slightly lower for the module. Coils are similar price. Although some claim that the Type II modules are easily found in junkyards; the Coils are everywhere in junkyards.

$0.02