Code 41 on teh way home and now she will not start

fc227

1986 Grand National
Greetings all,

I had a code 41 on the way home today and when I shut the engine off , It would not re-start. I believe that is the Cam sensor error code ? Where can you get replacement cam shaft sensor (just the upper assembly) ?

Why would you just replace the cap ? More than likely the cap is fine. The cam sensors wear out , Scot at GNS rebuilds them

Bryan

The hall effect sensor is in the black cap correct ? The trigger wheel is fine.

whats the end play on the shaft? I believe .030-.045 is acceptable .

The Sensor is not switching , No signal out. The end play if fine and trigger wheel is turning. The halleffect sensor died.

No, the sensor it self died(the electronic halleffect sensor) , the mechanical parts are fine.

Got power to the cap I had a wire break at the plug on the engine side of the connector took me a while to figure that one out the insulation was still intact grab your volt meter and start checking both sides for continuity.

If you just need the camshaft sensor cap, the best place to look is on ebay. I just recently seen one for $50.00 on there. Enter in the search area what you are looking for like this."camshaft position sensor buick grand national" and it will show up at the top or near the top of the list. Those caps are going for around $200.00 now so i wouldn't wait to long before searching for that one at $50.00 if you do need it.

It's weird but if you enter anymore info in the search area about the camshaft position sensor it won't show up.