Cobra video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobra

Don't kid yourselves...600rwhp street cars on pump gas are as rare as hen's teeth. It takes a helluva' lot more than a blower alone to make 600rwhp on an LS1. And you'll spend a helluva' lot more money doing it by the time you get there.

You are 100% correct IMHO. The TR crowd cannot stand / admit the fact the stock Cobras are deadly fast.....faster than alot of modded TR's.

1987 is gone. Yes, the Buicks are amazing, but the Cobras are equally amazing, and, you gotta admit the thing sounds Evil!!

BT:)

Stock LS1 shortblocks, like our cars are only good for 600hp before you have to crack em open. The hyper pistons don't help.

How fast would our cars be if we had those forged internals?? Well wait for some of the Cobra guys to switch to a turbo and you may see an 8 sec stock bottom end Cobra some day. With some good heads, they have a V-8 stage motor from the factory.

I really didn't mean to imply that the car isn't impressive. I'm just saying I would be glad to run a car like that out of the hole any day of the week. There may be very few cars of that power level on the road, but there are WAY fewer people who own them that can drive them neav their potential.... ;)

Foolis is right, theres some serious ego problems here. I don't care how fast you go, theres ALWAYS someone faster. Deal with it.

The 03 Cobras are awesome. I would say its going to be cheaper to build a 10 second cobra than a TR, not to mention parts availability might be better. As far as how many have run the number- sheeeesh! They are brand new! Its not like TR's where we've had 17+ years to experiment. Like someone said, you'll see an 8 second bolt on cobra before too long.

I'm sure somebodys going to say something about going 10's cheaper than a TR, all I have to say is do it. Most of us gunning for 10's have $30,000 or more in our cars. Sure, it CAN be done, but you don't see it too often. And you barely see it with bolt ons only.

I will probably buy an 03 cobra sometime, not too soon. They are the TR's of the new age, why do people bash stuff so much? It ain't like you're going to see buick make a 400 rwhp car anytime soon (or ever), and GM has all but abandoned us. I say good for ford, at least they got the nuts to produce the cobras and lightnings.

Guys have been 9's on these stock bottom ends, and they are new! How long was it before someone went 9's on a stock TR bottom end? Never happened. We got a few guys doing it with built bottom ends. A small group.

Originally posted by turbosam6

Guys have been 9's on these stock bottom ends, and they are new! How long was it before someone went 9's on a stock TR bottom end? Never happened. We got a few guys doing it with built bottom ends. A small group.

Guy down here has a stock bottom end TR and ran 10.11 @134mph (keep in mind 134mph is 9 second power) about a month ago........ He has been as fast as 10.03 before with the same stock bottom end motor and has had the same stock bottom end motor running low 10's for the last 4 or 5 years!

BTW, if you have $30,000 or more in your car and are only going 10's I feel sorry for you!

Now everybody just go out and buy God's chariot the '03 Cobra:D

Originally posted by Snorman

Most of the cars on this board are 12-second and slower cars, and probably 20% are running 11's.

Maybe another 5-10% are 10-second capable (and faster).

Would have to agree that's an accurate approximation, tending towards the 5% guess-timation on the 10-sec & less category.

I'd say its safe to say Orlando is in the minority.

Nice stock GN-$11,000
built bottom end-$4500
Heads-$1300
turbo$1000
injectors-$350
IC-$900
Built tranny$2000 give or take
rear suspension upgrades, arms, bars, etc.-$600
Wheels with slicks-$1000
double pumper-$450
intake-$250
doghouse-$150
Aluminum radiator-$500
felpro-$2000
downpipe-$440
roll cage-$1500 give or take
convertor-$700
roller rockers-$400

Thats almost what, $29,000 off the top of my head. Sure some of those parts aren't required, but it sure ain't no 9 second setup. And that don't include stuff like valve covers, fiberglass parts, paint, headers, cat backs, and all the other little stuff that adds up. Its not hard to spend $30,000. I bet people have more in their cars than they realize. I don't recommend figuring it out either. kinda sad. So for $33,000, I buy a new cobra, spend $3000 in mods and might be able to go tens? And have a new car that can be financed easily, with a warranty? See my point?

Remember, these Cobras are less then a year old and running how quick? This is from my gsX-tra mag:
In 1986 the quickest TR - High 13's
1987 - 13.10/103
1988 - 12.30
1989 - high 11's
1990 - 10's
These cars are already there.

Well just to give you an idea of some things you don't need here goes.......

-You can use a stock crank and rods to run in the 9's (just ask Bill at Champion who has a S1 block with a stock crank and rods and he has run 9.40's @140+mph).... A forged steel crank and forged rods aren't needed, but steel main caps and/or a girdle for a stock block would be a good idea as well as some good forged pistons like JEs (however the stock factory pistons are a LOT better than some people want to believe).......

-You can use a stock ECM with a chip such as the ME or even one of Red's chips (Just ask Dave Poppe who has run low 9's with a stock ECM and Red's chips or Roy Garcia who has run 9.90's with a ME chip with the stock ECM)........

-I don't see that you listed it there, but you don't need to spend $1K for a Billet hyd. roller cam to run 9's a flat tappet works just fine (that's been proven by several guys)........

-Also there are a good amount of guys running low 10's and high 9's with ported iron heads (Champion GN1 aluminums aren't needed)........

A lot of going fast with these cars as well as most any other performance car depends a LOT on the person and how good of a tuner/driver they are!!!

No doubt the '03 Cobra is an awesome performance car, but I won't be impressed even if they run 8's with them because Tim Palmer already ran 8.36 @163mph with his single thumper (91mm) turbo 4V modular Cobra (you know the ones they made in 96-98) and he had the stock 4V heads and cams!!! It also had a stock block, but it had a built bottom end...... An efficient V8 motor (especially one with 4V heads and DOHCs) should run very hard once you add boost to the equation..... It's no secret!
:)

[/b]Bone stock, maybe. And that's probably at least 1.5 seconds quicker than a bone stock TR on the same day at the same track. I've seen Pete Misinsky's car running 10.0's with a Kenne Bell blower, and a slew of bolt-on Cobras running deep into the 11's on 17" radials and DR's.
An impressive car, to say the least.
S. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well all the cobras I've seen in Orlando,and I've talked to them, have cat back,chip,and filter mods so as far as I'm concerned they aren't stock! But maybe the cars are just that much faster up north? and as far as the 33,000 price don't forget about all the good taxes,and probably about 3-5000 dollars in mods to get that 600 rwhp+ probably more for suspension mods so you would be well into the 40- 50,000 range,and if you can't run into the 9s with that kind of $ in our cars something is wrong!And as far as warranty, what warranty after mods like that dealer says no way!!! Just my opinion though. They are fast don't get me wrong just not as fast as some people think?????

Originally posted by inkcushion

Well all the cobras I've seen in Orlando,and I've talked to them, have cat back,chip,and filter mods so as far as I'm concerned they aren't stock! But maybe the cars are just that much faster up north? and as far as the 33,000 price don't forget about all the good taxes,and probably about 3-5000 dollars in mods to get that 600 rwhp+ probably more for suspension mods so you would be well into the 40- 50,000 range,and if you can't run into the 9s with that kind of $ in our cars something is wrong!And as far as warranty, what warranty after mods like that dealer says no way!!! Just my opinion though. They are fast don't get me wrong just not as fast as some people think?????

Very good points made especially about the warranty that everybody likes to mention!!! NO way in hell Ford is going to honor that warranty when you bring the car in with all of those mods to run in the 11's and 10's, but some people on here seem to think they will:confused:

guys...give credit where credit is due...i respect ANY fast car even if it is a FORD MUSTANG:eek:

our GNs are pioneers of american turbo v6s...and the performance dominator of the entire 1980's era...let's leave it at that...almost 20 years later i would HOPE that they are making cars with more horsepower and making them faster than a stock TR! it's all technology and experience and time! cars keep getting rediculously faster and more driveable than ever before! you can drive a 405 horsepower z06 corvette and get 28 mpg...you can daily drive a dodge viper that can run low 12's to high 11's...has a vTEN motor and it will sit and idle all day long in the arizona desert and not overheat! TECHNOLOGY!

it just gives us guys "the TR crowd" every reason to MOD our cars until our faces turn blue!:D

-You can use a stock crank and rods to run in the 9's (just ask Bill at Champion who has a S1 block with a stock crank and rods and he has run 9.40's @140+mph).... A forged steel crank and forged rods aren't needed, but steel main caps and/or a girdle for a stock block would be a good idea as well as some good forged pistons like JEs

Yea, and his car weighs nothing. Its a race car, pure and simple.

And lets not forget, for the 35,000 for the Cobra, you are not only getting a potentially 11 sec car on pump gas, its also A NEW CAR!!, not 15 years old!:mad:

BT

That's a sweet video. I still don't like the sound of a supercharger though - it makes me wince, like I was eating sour candy or something.

Yeah, something I've noticed about the various message boards. I'm a die-hard turbo Buick guy and have been a member here for a long time. I find that this board has always been more critical of other makes, whereas other boards give a good deal of respect to the TR. It's a weird dynamic.

I mean, I posted a pic of my modded Lightning a month or so ago on here, and it turned into a heated, angry discussion about how Fords suck and Lightnings are dogs and the whole nine yards.

I posted a similar thread on an SVT forum and the picture I posted SHOWED my TR beside my L and most of the Ford guys were like "hey man, that's a cool Buick - those things haul ass - tell us about it".

Healthy discussions never hurt, but Jesus Christmas, they're making Nissan Maxima's now with 265 HP - thank god my TR is modded.. And there's always going to be a faster car. As a car guy, I think fast cars are cool - period.

Rich

Originally posted by Foolis
Yea, and his car weighs nothing. Its a race car, pure and simple.

Umm last time I saw Bill's car (about a year ago) it was a full interior car that weighed around 3500lbs (it does have a fiberglass hood and bumpers if my memory serves me correct) and he told me it was street driven so unless the car has changed since I last saw it you are full of ****!

All of us know the '03 Cobra is an awesome new performance car, but I think a lot of people get tired of seeing the same old threads about how awesome they are over and over and over again.... You know? It just gets old after a while hearing the same damn thing!

Cobra's...

..are nice, But I have three comments to make based on what has been said by others in this thread:

1.For the ls1 doubters:

You have no clue. Bolt-on LS1's vs Bolt-on Cobra's are about dead even, assuming NOS for the LS1 is considered a bolt on. :D

2. If you wanna compared total prices, the cobra will lose hands down to an ls1 or GN, after modding each to death, you will be faster in the ls1 or GN for cheaper. The purchase price of cobra is atleast 10k more then a ls1, and about 20k more the buick.

3. As previously stated, without traction, you have dyno queen. I have yet to see a high powered cobra do any kind of damage to anyone around here.

The vid was nice, but man I can't wait for one of those guys to try that with me.:D :cool: :eek:

Umm last time I saw Bill's car (about a year ago) it was a full interior car that weighed around 3500lbs (it does have a fiberglass hood and bumpers if my memory serves me correct) and he told me it was street driven so unless the car has changed since I last saw it you are full of ****!

Umm, the last time I saw Bucky Bill's car was @ Speedwolrd, and it had NO interior, NO inner fenders, NO AC, and NO tag. So I guess YOU are the one who is full of Sh*T.:eek:

BT

Pushing in the clutch at about 40-45 mph and punching the gas and letting out the clutch quickly can bark the tires on lots of cars.

600 hp :rolleyes: take it to the track;) Tuning does wonders.

Ls1 with equal amount of money will prevail.

LPOTT:)

Bo

Umm, the last time I saw Bucky Bill's car was @ Speedwolrd, and it had NO interior, NO inner fenders, NO AC, and NO tag. So I guess YOU are the one who is full of Sh*T.:eek:

BT

Well then it has changed cause last time I saw his car it had a full interior, (not sure if it had AC or not), but it ran 9.60's like that @140+mph...... Either way you saying it is a race car proves nothing because there are stock block cars that have run high 9's that are pretty much full weight (3500-3600lbs) with a stock crank and stock rods (Race Jace comes to mind as well as Ryan Guy and Roy Garcia).....

Not bad for a cast crank and rods:)

Re: Cobra

You are 100% correct IMHO. The TR crowd cannot stand / admit the fact the stock Cobras are deadly fast.....faster than alot of modded TR's.

1987 is gone. Yes, the Buicks are amazing, but the Cobras are equally amazing, and, you gotta admit the thing sounds Evil!!

BT:)

Right on!

Status
Not open for further replies.