Cly head flow numbers..

indysand

Where can I find flow numbers for stock and ported 3.8 heads? I'm curious what can be done with these. Also, what injectors would be recommended for a 500rwhp combo?
Thanks for the noob help!
Phil

Originally posted by frankg
From what i've read this is what i remember them flowing:
GN1's- 220-225 cfm intake
CNC Irons-200-205 cfm intake Frank
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our numbers are very close to Frank's. We have flowed a few sets on GN-1's and lots of maxed iron heads. With the same flow bench and operator, here is what we got:

All on intake at 0.500" lift:

stock max port, 1.77" valve iron.........210 cfm

GN-1 out of box..................................230 cfm

GN-1 Champion ported.......................257 cfm

GN-1 ported by us..............................260 cfm

Searched using 'flow numbers' keyword.

The msd 50's will get you there with great street manners.

I've forgotten the flow numbers for stock heads are. 170 ish?:confused:

Thanks guys! I appreciate you giving me the info and searching. I admit, I'm search deficient, someday I'll get it right!
I wish I could say that I'm building a Buick 3.8(someday I will when I find a '64 Skylark to build!), but I'm going to be putting together a 3.8 mustang with a single turbo. Trying to compare cyl head flow, cams, boost, injectors etc to see what i wopuld need to do.
Thanks again!!
Phil

500 RWHP?

Not out of a Ford 3.8, at least not for very long. The Buick will do it for a while, but that's a lot of power unless you really build it, use a girdle, etc. That would be about 600 at the engine, which is right at the "recommended" limit for the stock block. If you can find a Stage block, that would give you some margin. Good luck!

Yes, I'm building a 3.8 FORD. The Supercoupes are running upwards of 450rwhp, and they are turning a blower off of the crank. I think the turbo will allow more power to be produced without the strain on the crank. I think it can be done, I guess we'll see. At least I know I can get heads that flow 250cfm plus intake, 200 plus exh, so at least I'll be ahead there. I've got a turbo cam speced out already, basically the one I was gonna use in my 347 just put on a v6 core. I will most likely be making a semi-custom sheetmetal intake for it, just so I dont have to mess with porting those damn long runners. I'll use the supercoupe block and crank(stroked a bit), some 6",2.1" bore chevy rods, and custom pistons with 8.5-1 comp.
I will be fun, no matter what.
Phil

I was looking at that article on 3.8 Ford strokers and the head designs in some mag or other last month..looks like pretty decent head flow #s and a good size stroke using the truck crank. Now you just have to get the heads to stay on.. :)

I think I would start with a stock lower, hack the runners just above the injector bosses, and add your sheetmetal there. That would save you some fabrication. Good luck!
Make sure you carry a bag of kitty litter in the trunk.. :D

Also, there was a post today wherein Kenny the Dutt is quoted as saying something close to:

"The new TA heads flowed over 300 cfm...better than any prior head"

Out of box in the 280 range unworked.

Nice, eh?

How about awesome!!

8 more weeks!!

:) :cool: :)

Kendall, thats exactly what I was thinking for the lower intake. Would definitely take alot of the difficult fab out of it. I dont want to use the 4.2l stuff, because the crank is cast, not forged like the Supercoupe crank. The blocks are all basically the same, but noone has really found the limit of it yet. They keep breaking cranks and rods.
The kitty litter is a good idea, but maybe a under-engine diaper would work best? LOL
Phil

Also, there was a post today wherein Kenny the Dutt is quoted as saying something close to:

"The new TA heads flowed over 300 cfm...better than any prior head"

Out of box in the 280 range unworked.

Can someone tell me, where to find the above post ?