Clunk, then gone!

mach.80

Thread Killer
Well a few weeks ago I took the 85' GN out to get the fluids and charging system some exercise. I had some major problems that required me pushing my car home.

I was on a back road letting my son sit on my lap and drive at idle speed.
I heard a subtle metal sounding clunk, then the car came to a stop. I moved my son over and tried ALL of my gears. Everything was nuetral. The only gear that worked was park.

The torque converter(I think) had been making a loud clicking noise that was gone immediatly after the clunk sound.

I have not dropped the pan yet but the tranny had been shifting normal up to that point.

Where should I start the diagnosis? Will a TC give out like that? The noise got worse The time I drove it before it died.

Thanks guys,

Merry Christmas.

Well a few weeks ago I took the 85' GN out to get the fluids and charging system some exercise. I had some major problems that required me pushing my car home.

I was on a back road letting my son sit on my lap and drive at idle speed.
I heard a subtle metal sounding clunk, then the car came to a stop. I moved my son over and tried ALL of my gears. Everything was nuetral. The only gear that worked was park.

The torque converter(I think) had been making a loud clicking noise that was gone immediatly after the clunk sound.

I have not dropped the pan yet but the tranny had been shifting normal up to that point.

Where should I start the diagnosis? Will a TC give out like that? The noise got worse The time I drove it before it died.

Thanks guys,

Merry Christmas.
Well,if hte driveshaft is not spinning (meaning a brokern rearend) Its time to pull the trans out and have it looked at,even if its just a bad convertor that usually mean there is metal through out the trans

Check for pump pressure b4 anything else. Sounds like broken pump/rings

Check the dipstick and view the level. Start car and see if level drops. Probably pump gears broken.

great! I'll check the fluid to see if it drops and I'll try to check pressure.
Rear end is fine. I'll also drop the pan to check for debres.

Thanks. I'll let you know the outcome.

Probably going to be you input shaft if everything else pans out. Ask me how I know:wink: Hope that's not the case, trans will need to be pulled...

Gosh, I hope not!

If it's a big job I may go another way with the car.

What Tranny will fit my motor and work with an ls series motor later.

Yep..

Probably going to be you input shaft if everything else pans out. Ask me how I know:wink: Hope that's not the case, trans will need to be pulled...

SAME thing w/my bud's TTA. Pulled out of the garage, started out to the street.. Dead player! Input shaft snapped off. Rest of trans was OK.

Well I'm back. I just started the car and the fluid stayed in the same place on the dipstick, it didn't drop after starting. Now I'll go check pressure and the fluid itself.

Well I'm back. I just started the car and the fluid stayed in the same place on the dipstick, it didn't drop after starting. Now I'll go check pressure and the fluid itself.

Broken pump or pump drive.

Checked the fluid pritty dark for only a 20-30 miles small particals.However I didn't drop the pan or drain All of the fluid yet. I took off the trans cooler line and started it ran it through the gears. No fluid came out!

So, bison. can that be repaired without the entire tranny being rebuilt?
Is it something a fairly handy guy could do?

If your fluid is pretty dark and metal particles in the fluid, it is best to pull and overhaul because you won't get all that out and it may cause valves to hang up in the valve body, not to mention unseen damage or potential harm. May as well pull and do it right instead of throwing a bandaid at it.

Yea I understand that. However, It won't be until 2010 until I can afford a tranny rebuild. Unless I try to tackle it myself.

I am considering holding off and doing a 5.3 vortec turbo and scrap the 200r4

Id pull the trans and post pics of the material in the pan if theres any. You need a new pump assembly. Its not that hard to change pumps.

Awweesome. Ill pull it tomarrow. Any pumps you reccommend? Its a stock 85gn I'm limping along for now.