clitter clatter, what's the matter?

D

dhause

I've got a bit of a clatter coming from somewhere near the alternator as my GN sits and idles. I cannot tell if it's an idler pulley--can't seem to pinpoint the exact location of the noise. Not lifters or anything like that. It has no effect on driveability or performance, but is definitely noticeable.

The sound it makes is similar to what your engine sounds like if it spark knocks after you turn it off, if that makes any sense.

Any ideas what it is, and more importantly, how to fix? My hunch is that is no more than an adjustment somewhere should resolve it. Thanks.

Well, there are several things over on that side that could be the culprit: alternator, a/c compressor, p/s pump. Take a long screwdriver and place the tip on a stable portion on any of those components, then place your ear on the handle end. Use this like a stethescope. Listen until you hear the sound, and then move to the next piece. You should figure it out fairly quick. I'll guess it's the alternator bearings but who knows....

I chased that problem on mine. Turns out that the crank sensor is loose and making the noise. I barely touched the wire harness and it stopped. The sensor is loose within the housing and rattling against the pulley.

I know this is on the other side from where you said, but my bracket that is attachted to the intercooler and the one bolt to the front cover was loose and would clatter some.

I had that problem and that exact sound you speak of. Verdict: It was a bad bearing on the Belt Tensioner.

Scott

Also forgot to mention that I got the same effect when for some reason the belt tensioner pulley was rubbing agains the bolt on the bottom left of the alternator. How did I fix it? New belt. The old one must have stretched far enough.

Scott