Clevite H vs P bearings

87we410877

Clevite offers 2 types of bearings for our cars P series and H series.
This is what they have to say about P series--------- P-Series main bearings are the oldest members of the Clevite 77 bearing family, and are intended for high-revving engines. To compensate for the high load factors and distortion in these engines, they have higher eccentricity and a high crush factor. P-Series bearings are built on steel backings with extra-thin overlays, to prevent overlay fatigue. In addition, the oil grooves on most applications extend all the way around both halves for better oiling.

And H-----------------------Clevite H-Series rod bearings were developed primarily for NASCAR racing, but are well-suited to other types of competition engines. They're especially good for engines that run at medium-to-high revs. They have hardened-steel backings with thin overlays and a high crush factor, plus a medium level of eccentricity. H-Series bearings have enlarged chamfers at the sides for greater crank-fillet clearance and are made without flash plating for better seating. These are available with various under-sizes including 0.001 in. of clearance for polished journals.

What would you guys use? I took P series out of the motor. Said .001 on them. Whats that meen? Crank was cut?

Do not use P bearings in these motors, they wont last long go with the h bearings. It does not mean the crank was cut, just the limits of the bore or the jornal were on the outer ranges, and the bearing was used to compensate a bit. Look for .0015- on rods and about .002 clearance on crank for a street piece..

norbs said:
Do not use P bearings in these motors, they wont last long go with the h bearings. It does not mean the crank was cut, just the limits of the bore or the jornal were on the outer ranges, and the bearing was used to compensate a bit. Look for .0015- on rods and about .002 clearance on crank for a street piece..

They are not going to be for a street driven car. Maybe once in a while maybe 1k miles a year. I took P series out of the motor and that seems to be what peopel use. Why are they not recomended by you? and also, i got a new crank and rods and was wondering what the clearences should be. Should i buy .001 over or go with the stock since everything is brand new. I am going to be trying to make 700-800 HP. Thanks.

Im putting in a CAT crank and was told by an engine builder that with most aftermarket cranks including Eagle, you need to use H-series bearings because of the champfer on the sides of the journals which the stock cranks do not have. What do you guys make of this?