Clearance issues with GN1 Downpipe?

QwuickTurbo6

Well I finally got around to installing my 6157bb and GN1 externally wastegated downpipe. I trimmed the fenderwell which wasn't a big deal, but it is also resting against the A-arm. Has anyone else had this issue? What's going to happen when I drive the car? Well the dp get dented here, or will it start snapping the bolts that connect the turbo to the dp? Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!

"devil's advocate" question: are the motor mounts and a-arm bushings in ok shape? Granted no 2 downpipes even from the same manufacturer will fit exactly the same but if it's hitting the a-arm: that's a problem.

Well the motor mounts were replaced about 200 miles ago. Only thing I could think of would be old front shocks/springs. Could the A-arm bushings be a cause for this clearance issue?

GN1, LOL:eek: Might be problem 1! Wait a while you might get a free IC that you can blow a hole in!!!

:p but FREE???? ..... highly doubtful... :biggrin: :wink:

That is what I "heard" was being given away instead of correct parts when they don't work...

From what I understand there is at least 3 board members this type of stuff has happend too. I sure wish they would post up....

ahhh.... I was under the impression that they SOLD you more parts to 'fix' things when this type of thing happens.... :) Wonder if they sell BFH's??? :p

Fitment

I have a real thdp and have no issues with fitment. This just goes back to made in CHINA..... i would not cut on my car just so a part fits...

Did you just bolt it on without positioning it? Install loosely and then tighten the bolts when you get it where you want it. You can gain some clearance by doing that. As far as motor mounts go, on my GN noticed that the motor did not sit level with a HR mount on the drivers side and stock one on the pass side. Went with a HR on the pass side to and leveled out.

Other downpipes sold by other vendors have been known to occasionally have fitment problems as well. :rolleyes:

Fitment

My GN1 fit perfect. Every once in a while it will tap the a-arm when idle drops below normal. I have 22 year old motor mounts and will be changing them before summer. Scanmaster never shows false knock when I can hear the DP tapping a little though. Maybe a torque strap will help.Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
Coach

I know you just bought new motor mounts, but you might consider buying HR Parts N Stuff poly motor mounts, they have adjustability and would probably allow the downpipe to be brought away from the control arm. They also allow VERY little engine rocking during high loads on drivetrain. Vibration is minimal, I've installed this on a bone stock GN and the vibration is a little more, but not a nuisance at all. My two cents.