DIY 3" custom downpipe build cheap

Ev87Ttype

Last year I asked for someone to donate a stock dp elbow. Thanks to a really awesome well known member/performance shop, I was able to get a donated stock elbow for my custom do it yourself 3" downpipe project. Over the fall and winter, I was able to get caught up on some of my own projects. I finally got around to building a 3"dp for my We4. Keep in mind that I am a very experienced fabricator and welder. The dp on our cars are pretty basic. At least much less complicated than some headers I have built. So anyone with decent welding a fab skills can probably save themselves about $400 by doing this project themselves.

Step 1: Cut a flange out of a stock DP elbow.

Note: You have the option to buy these from RJS with larger pucks, but if you don't have a huge turbo or over 100 bucks for a simple flange, then follow these steps with your stock elbow.
IMG_0331.JPG
Draw a line around the flange of the stock elbow as pictured and use a cutoff wheel and a grinder to cut around. Be sure to cut around the waste gate puck and lever so that it remains attached to the flange. (unless you have an external wg).
IMG_0260.JPG
You should end up with a flange that looks like the one in this photo. Bolt your flange up to the turbo. That is the foundation for all the work to come.

Step 2: Buy a 3" Mandrel bend pipe. (I got mine from Summit Racing) You will need at least 1 180deg bend and a 45deg bend. You will also want some thick 3-bolt flanges for the test pipe and an o2 bung if you run a wide band.
Step 3: Start at the turbo and make your first cut for the 90 coming out of the turbo. (It needs to be tight, I used the cut on the left in the photo below.
IMG_0261.JPG

Step 4:Once you get that cut, fit it to the flange and angle it back toward the opening in the firewall. Mark the position with a sharpie and tack it in place.
IMG_0268.JPG

When you get the angle you like, work from there with more pieces of tube. Keep marking reference points with a sharpie so you can reposition it when tack welding. I like to build as you go. Too much pre- planing will get you into trouble.
IMG_0262.JPG
A trick I like to use when cutting tube bends is to take time and plot out straight dotted lines around the bend. I normally eyeball it, but you can use a rubber band if that helps.Then you can use them as a guide when cutting anywhere along the bend. If you cut at an angle, you will end up with oval shaped openings and the mating piece of pipe wont fit.
IMG_0263.JPG
Making reference points like this helps when holding it under the car and trying to duplicate it when welding.
Step 5: Use something to space the pipe above your control arm. I used a socket in this picture to ensure that I left enough space for the dp.
IMG_0266.JPG

Below is a photo as to how it snakes through the opening below the firewall. Make sure you have plenty of clearance.
IMG_0280.JPG

By now you should have something that looks like the photo below.

IMG_0270.JPG
Step 7: Waste gate integration.
Use cardboard to make a template for the wastegate. Remember to fully open the puck and make sure that it clears. Once you have your template, cut a piece of scrap tube and trace your template to it. You can reshape it with a hammer to make it fit snug. I built mine in 2 pieces.
IMG_0274.JPG
To be continued: hit my photo limit for this post;)

Last edited:
Step8: Cut out around the pieces you made for the wastegate transition and tack them in.
IMG_0275.JPG
I ended up with something like this. It is a longer transition but that is just how mine turned out. you can make them much shorter like some of the aftermarket pipes.

Step 9: Welding the flange.
This is a very important step. If using a stock dp elbow for a flange, because they are cast iron, make sure that you pre heat the flange with a torch. Stick weld it with NiCi rod or at least use flux cored welding wire instead of MIG. Peck it with a chipping hammer while hot. Let it cool very slowly. Because the welding process is not the prettiest, I finished/ smoothed that weld with a flap wheel on my grinder.
IMG_0277.JPG
pre heating the flange before welding
IMG_0287.JPG
Flange after welding. Again, make sure the wg puck works freely.

Step 10: Weld the 3 bolt flange to the end of the pipe and install o2 bung. There are a lot of opinions on the best location of the o2 sensor. Put it where you feel is best, just make sure it is on the side or top half of the tube and doesn't hit anything.
IMG_0309.JPG

If you don't have any friends to help hold anything, recruit your dog like I did. :)

Step 11: After test fitting everything about 50 times, take your time and mig or tig everything up. You should come out with something that looks like this.
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

Step 12: Coating
Although I may end up having my dp ceramic coated, I opted to try out KBS coatings Xtreme temp coating. I thoroughly cleaned and scuffed the dp, and primed with their high temp xtreme primer. Then I shot it with their silver xtreme temp coating from a spray gun. Do not try to brush it, it will look like crap. I just took to car for a drive to bake the coating. Here is a link to the website. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/high-temperature-paints.html I ended up buying it from summit racing for about $50.( a pint will go a long way. I did my dp and a few sets of headers I have built since this project) I can say that it probably wont be very easy to clean if you touch it with greasy hands, but it looks pretty good for the $ and hasn't shown any signs of burning off.
IMG_0330.JPG
This is the after the high temp primer.
IMG_1125.JPG

Here is a finished picture of the dp on the car with the coating. Sorry, I forgot to take one of it before I installed it with the finished coating.

Step: 13 Build a test pipe.
Make sure that you adjust it base on the orientation of the flange you welded to your dp before you weld it.
IMG_0291.JPG

To be continued: Final step in next reply post!

Last step: Optional
Buy an electric cutout and raise some hell!:D
IMG_1126.JPG

Let me know if you have any questions or want to know what the part numbers are for the mandrel bent pipe. I can look it up and send it to you.
I have well under $100, especially since I asked my buddy at the local exhaust shop for 3 bolt flanges, scrap pieces of 3" pipe for the test pipe, and an o2 bung and plug. The coating will be the most expensive part. I plan on dropping it off at the powdercoater for a ceramic coating one of these days. But I'm happy with the KBS coating so far.

That my friend is awesome and thank you, I was planning on doing the same exact thing! I have a bunch of 3" stainless left over from a magnaflow truck system, and a spare elbow. I was going to tig mine, hmmm.

That my friend is awesome and thank you, I was planning on doing the same exact thing! I have a bunch of 3" stainless left over from a magnaflow truck system, and a spare elbow. I was going to tig mine, hmmm.
I would have liked to used stainless. It was way more expensive and the problem with the u bends is that they have clamp marks which would be tough to polish out. I ended up mig welding this pipe only because I sold my tig and haven't bought a new one yet. With the turbo heat shield on, u can only see one weld under the hood anyway. Maybe I'll build a ss one in the future if it is cheaper than having this one ceramic coated.

I understand completely! I only have the SS laying around and is in good shape. I was going to buy the RJG flange, still may, unless I can get the right filler rod to weld the SS to the cast elbow. I don't know what kind to get?

Your pipe looks great, I have been looking around to see if someone had tried this yet.

I would just use the stainless steel filler rod. It is the high nickel content that allows you to weld to cast iron. stainless steel filler or wire should already contain a good bit of nickel . I don't think u will have any problems if u pre heat. If u buy a rjc flange to get the larger puck, it is made of mild steel so you won't have to worry about it. U can weld mild steel with ss wire or filler too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
87 We4