Cleaning intake, plenum, valve covers

87bigcut

What is the best way to clean the plenum, intake, and valve covers? I am doing a swap and want them to look good when they go in.

Thanks,
Joe

sand or bead blasting is usually the most effective. Followed by either some semi-gloss clear engine paint or powdercoat.

I just de-greased mine very well, and painted them with aluminum high temp paint. The intake and plenum look nice. I will probably pull the valve covers off again, bead blast them, and clear-coat them, so it provides some contrast to the other two items.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

A friend of mine at work convinced me to polish the air intake plenum and valve covers on my wifes car. It takes alot of time but the results are awesome. The valve covers were pretty nasty, but they look awesome now. I was so impressed with my results I started polishing everything that is aluminum on the car.

My freinds website gives you the run down on how to do it along with some links to other peoples advice on polishing.

http://monninengineering.com/Polishing.html

I just finished my plenum, valve covers and turbo cover. What I did was degrease them first, then I just used some fine sand paper to remove the oxidization( which really important to get off because it will disturb the paint), then I wash them with dish soap to remove any oils or debres from sanding. After that I made sure not to touch with my fingers( finger oil will cause paint to not adhere) and painted them with Dupli-Colr High Heatw/ceramic Aluminum color paint. The paint code is DH1606. After painting about 7 coats, I stuck them in the oven for 2 hours at 400 degrees to let the ceramic cure. This is a cheap way to make the aluminum look new. I spent $5.49 on the paint and $2.00 on the sand paper. This product is rated at 1200 degrees and withstood my hammer. I did a test piece before my parts to see how strong it was. I hit it pretty hard and it didn't chip off. I got the paint from AutoZone!! Just my two cents because it looks awesome on my car!!! -----Jeremy

No prob.. It will probably be a little while because I have the stock headers off to be ceramic coated. It is easier to get the passenger side header off with the vlavle caver off so I am waiting until I get the headers done to put the valve cover back on. I went to a car show tonight and found a guy that will ceramic coat my headers for $100. I think that is a pretty good price!!! I will get ahold of a digital camera this week and at least get a pic of the plenum and drivers side valve cover. That is an awesome and cheap way to shine up the engine bay!!!

Just brought headers, up-pipe, turbo sheild and cross-over pipe to be ceramic coated! Cant wait to get them back!!!! I have also taken as much of the black plastic pieces in the engine bay off and painted them with black plastic re-finish paint. Cant wait to get everything back together!!!