Cleaning GN upper door panels

raregn

Addicted to BOOST
As the title says, I want to clean my interior upper door panels on my 87 GN.
Got talked into putting it in the World of Wheels here, which is in 2 weeks. Rest of the car is about ready, but I can't think of a way to clean the upper door panels without ruining the pleats. They are not bad. But they are already off cause I took the door handles lock cylinders and mirrors off to Polish the car easier.
I'm thinking of trying a dry powder carpet cleaner.
Anyone have any tricks?

Attachments

• IMG_20180301_1133270.jpg
    IMG_20180301_1133270.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 70
A "Rug Doctor" cleaner or reasonable Home Depot facsimile with a small upholstery attachment should work just fine.

I think mine came out pretty nice.....

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Steam and a little apc. It's gentle and won't ruin the cardboard behind the upholstery.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Steam and a little apc. It's gentle and won't ruin the cardboard behind the upholstery.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yup,

I used boiling hot water, just a light spray with vacuum right behind it.

A "Rug Doctor" cleaner or reasonable Home Depot facsimile with a small upholstery attachment should work just fine.

I think mine came out pretty nice.....

Cool, you have manual window cranks too .

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out .

those turned out nice .... i wish mine were salvageable....the previous owner of mine was a smoker and left a few nice burn marks right at the top

i'm going to get a new set from highway stars here pretty quick once i get the new headliner put in.

I've used tuff stuff cleaner with good results on carpets, seats and door panels.

Spray, let it foam and lift dirt out, dab with a clean towel and let dry or use a vacuum to dry faster.

IMG_4464.PNG

On greasy type stuff I use odorless mineral spirits. Dab to soak spot, dab to clean spot, see spot disappear. Maybe that was a dog I had that ran away. Lol

I took a leap of faith and went out to the garage with my Bissell and shampooed my upper door panels. And seats and the carpet...
They turned out great, pleats didn't get ruined and the color went back to the original grey. Just was carful to not let them get too wet and vacuumed the water off as soon as possible.

Here's a picture, I like how they turned out... for the original door panels.
passenger door came out a little better as it wasn't as dirty.
Not many GN's with manual windows and no power door locks, I've had the car for 22 years and those window cranks have become my favorite feature about the car.

IMG_20180312_1147233.jpg

Here's a picture, I like how they turned out... for the original door panels.
passenger door came out a little better as it wasn't as dirty.
Not many GN's with manual windows and no power door locks, I've had the car for 22 years and those window cranks have become my favorite feature about the car.

View attachment 319193
Looks great, I also have manual windows with no locks. Unfortunately my upper door panels where switched out at sometime before me and are the square hole power ones now.