clay bar

scgamecock

What is the stuff you spray on when you use a clay bar? I have some clay but no spray and was wondering if I could mix something up.

any detail spray can be used. Plain water would probably work too

I would wash the car using dishwashing soap before you clay the car to remove any wax that may be on it

I have used this stuff a lot! Works great!

First and foremost wash the car :) Then use whatever you have. You can mix up some car wash detergent and water or use water by itself. The clay just needs some type of lubricant (nothing special) and you do NOT have to use detailer. Just make sure the paint is always wet, work that clay bar, and you are good to go. Trust me... ;)

When you are done wax it up!

i get a roll around stool a cheap bottle of window cleaner and a clay bar .you can go over a whole car in less than an hour if you stay at it .

Don't use soapy water with a clay bar, the bar will break down and it will make a mess. I would dillute 50/50 any of the body shine products just to save a little money. Wouldn't advise using clay bars on a hot sunny day, the spray lubricant won't go as far and the clay will stick to the surface. Careful, the harder you rub the clay bar the more micro scratches you'll end up with. The next steps after a clay bar would be compunding, polish and wax.

i get a roll around stool a cheap bottle of window cleaner and a clay bar .you can go over a whole car in less than an hour if you stay at it .

X2 on the glass cleaner. it works good. i did a black crew cab chevy in just over an hour

hello ladies and gents: What do you think of clay barring a car with old paint? I guess it would be smooth to the touch and shinier. Would it be worth it as I heard it's alot of work?
IBBY

I'm trying to bar my 07 Silve..[It's black].
I am using the Meguirs detail spray, and thier clay bar... The problem is, the bar is sticking to the paint, smearing, and generally making a mess...
I think the truck really needs to be power buffed, but I thot if I got the majority of the crud off, I could do a polish/cleaner, then wax...

I'm trying to bar my 07 Silve..[It's black].
I am using the Meguirs detail spray, and thier clay bar... The problem is, the bar is sticking to the paint, smearing, and generally making a mess...
I think the truck really needs to be power buffed, but I thot if I got the majority of the crud off, I could do a polish/cleaner, then wax...

keep the area wetter

Yeah, it sounds like you need more lube.

For others that asked about what kind of lube, water is just fine. I got some detailing lessons from the VP of Clay Magic many years ago, who makes the clay for just about everyone, and he said no need for special lubes. Plan water works just fine.

I usually use my hose when doing it, right after I'm done washing the car and have everything still out. The more water the better.

Wax/Polish right after!

Make sure you put a coat of polish or wax on the car immediately after you clay it. After the surface has been clayed the paint it is stripped completely bare, with no wax to protect it from the elements and keep the surface slick. You'll find that the car gets MUCH dirtier MUCH faster with bare paint.

The idea behind claying is to remove all those resistant things that stick to paint (tree sap, tar, tire residue, brake dust, etc.) but without a coat of wax you're leaving the paint unprotected. If you only have time to clay the car and put on some all-in-one product, thats fine. Just don't clay it and expect that to work wonders by itself, its a prepping step and its a part of a process.

I wash with Dawn dishwashing detergent (any dishwashing soap will do, as its highly alkaline and removes grease and all traces of old wax), then clay, then wash again - NOT with dish soap, but with a car washing product, then wax one coat (I'm usually too tired to do any more than that, lol.) After that wax to your hearts content, but don't crack open a beer and call it a day before that first coat :cool: