Classic NASCAR on Speed Channel

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
Home sick from work today, turned on Speed Channel and the 1981 Daytona 500 is on. Neil Bonnett, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, and #2 Dale Earnhardt. Gotta love this stuff, better than watching the current NASCAR races. Real cars, all the (GM) manufacturers represented. And I'd swear that someone is running a Buick V6....some of the cars don't sound like V8's at all. I thought the V6's were just run in the Busch series?

I hope they show some of the '70's races, I've always had a soft spot for '73-'77 Olds Cutlasses with the "aero" ;) front end they used to run.

Does anyone else watch the classic races? I just think it was so much better with these cars...they were more like regular cars that a bunch of backyard mechanics turned into race cars, not ground-up fabrications, althought they were probably pretty technologically advanced for their time....

Steve

i agree the old nascar cars are better ,in my opinion, to holding true to stock car racing, the new ones are not anything near the cars they are supposed to represent. I find it hard to tell makes apart unless i know the number a driver has and what he drives, when they are all close together, now you can have cars that have a small resymbalance to the street car and have a rear wheel drive v-8 set up...i like the faster paced races of today, but the cars are getting too far from what they are supposed to be near for me

Yeah, I saw the last 20 laps of the 1981 Daytona. I thought it was pretty cool to see. What kind of cars are they running? This race was run before I was born. When did Richard Petty retire, and when did he get # 200?

Today's Cars Come Out Of The Same Mold Don't They?

Smokey Yunick, Rex White, Fireball Roberts, Freddie Lorenzen, Junior Johnson...those were the days! :)

Wasn't it around 1981 that Buick dominated Nascar racing. Didn't Petty drive a Buick?

Petty did win that race, in a Buick.

I actually got to see the race (Firecracker 400) at Daytona when Petty picked up his 200th victory. At least I think I remember....it was so long ago....

Steve

Anybody in CT remember the Race Hill Farms Nascar team? They were based in the town of Madison where I used to live and they won Talledega one year. Was watching the race and it came down to the last few laps and then (I think it was CBS) they lost the video portion of the race. You could still hear what was going on and they won the race, was right down to the end and they did it in a Buick. The owner of the team, Jack Beebe lived about two miles from my parents house.

Years later I ran into a guy who had a cool white turboed Riveria and turns out he was married to Jack Beebe's granddaughter. The Riv was a car that Union 76 ( the gas people ) gave to him for winning the race. Nice convertible with Centerline rims.

Trivia question!! Who was the driver that won the race for Race Hill Farms??