Classic Buick NASCAR aero?????

slowboi

Hey there, just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I have been reading about some of the 81-83 Buick NASCAR race cars and I noticed several of them pulled off some 200mph laps way back in the 80's. Looking at the pictures of the cars I am interested in figuring out some of their aero mods.

I can tell the simple stuff like the full length angled rear wing, and the blocked off lights and grill openings.... however were any of these cars running full length pans or diffusers? I am surprised how stock looking they are considering the speeds they were traveling at!

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'm wondering if anyone has some legitimate specs on these cars and how they were put together so they would stay stable at those high speeds?

they didn't do much to them... if you look at the pics, they might have dropped the nose relative to the cowl (which had to be in the stock location) an inch or 2.. they also got the car to run as low as they could without bottoming out to keep air out from under the car, and made sure the wheels were as flush to the body as they could get them.. the grille is almost totally sealed off, with only enough air allowed thru to keep the engine cool. the bumpers are probably sectioned a bit to tuck them in tighter to the body. then you start getting to the subtle stuff- look at the way the B pillar tapers in at the back of the door and the flush mounted 1/4 windows..

add an unrestricted engine that was putting out 750 or so hp to that clean body, and you have a recipe for speed..

they didn't do much to them... if you look at the pics, they might have dropped the nose relative to the cowl (which had to be in the stock location) an inch or 2.. they also got the car to run as low as they could without bottoming out to keep air out from under the car, and made sure the wheels were as flush to the body as they could get them.. the grille is almost totally sealed off, with only enough air allowed thru to keep the engine cool. the bumpers are probably sectioned a bit to tuck them in tighter to the body. then you start getting to the subtle stuff- look at the way the B pillar tapers in at the back of the door and the flush mounted 1/4 windows..

add an unrestricted engine that was putting out 750 or so hp to that clean body, and you have a recipe for speed..

Do you know if they did anything related to a diffuser or full length pan to cover the underside? I cant find any pictures of the bottom of the cars.

You could always go visit the NASCAR hall of fame and take a close look at Darrell Waltrip's championship Mountain Dew Regal.

2010_NASCAR_Hall_of_Fame_Darrell_Waltrip_Winston_Kelley_with_car_horizontal_t470.JPG

3379338144_1c8d3228d8_z.jpg