CK Performance & Cryo

Clay Thompson

I received a direct email from CKP after responding on the TB Board to one of his posts regarding the cryoed parts he uses which included prices and availability. I replied and asked for specific test data regarding the durability increase that one can expect from cryoing parts, I never received a reply.

Decided not to pursue any further until STE stirred the pot.

Again, CKP, what test data do you have about the benefits of cryoing parts? I am interested or I would not have replied to your direct email or taken the time to make this post.

i recievedan email about this and reasponded promptly but it wasnt from clay iy was someone else .dont present me as someone who doesnt care clay ,and if you want the parts ******* send me a check happy new year on your island surrounded by ignorance mother f%%%%%%.i hope you have a sense of humor.

No data?

I guess that lovely reply indicates that no actual data regarding the improvements from cryoing are available, which would also account for no reply to the direct email.

Why would I even consider buying a part with no testing to support improvement claims? The only check I'd send you is a reality check.

why dont you come get a tour of the shop 2339 35th street astoria ny 11105 maybe i can change your mind .

Chris....

Play nice.:D

And Clay is a handful. I have never met anybody, including myself, that has won a battle of wits with Clay. :p :p

ROFL!;)

clay thompson issue

attn all: this was my response to clay thompson re: his question on cryogenics... please note the date of response. we never ignore e-mails that we recieve... just wanted to set the record straight. i sent this to eduelist@hotmail.. not even knowing it was clay. thanks for your time.. chris

Subj: Re: (nplanetaryo subject)
Date: 12/26/02 6:01:37 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: eduelist@hotmail.com

cryogenics increases the strength 50%to100%depending on the material.in the case of gears it allows a higher load across the flanks (drive and driven surfaces)of the gears to be transferred.it changes the molecular structure of the metal. when you combine it wiyh our a pinion planets the power transmission potentional is i50 % stronger at the minimum. we make a 2.84 and a 2.48 first gear ratio to improve acceleration andtraction depending on the application.www.ckperformance.com

<<<<not wanting to get into another pissing match>>>>

Professionally speaking I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I'm not a design engineer....I work at a plant....fixing things...solving problems.

Cryogenic processing of metal parts has become an accepted practice for increasing strength and toughness in critical parts. You can read many technical papers on why it works, but the truth of the matter is that it DOES work.

So Clay...it's not vodoo...and it looks like Chris has given you some valid (if not overly detailed) data.

John

I beg to differ...

I spent 23,000 dollars at Boeing Aircraft proving this. Chryo'ing input shafts and the drum shafts proved to be no better than any other process. In part they believed it was the metal structure from the beginning that GM used. We had parts done and then tested at Boeing. I have a 25 page report. They did prove on output shafts to increase torsional twist by about 22%. The output shaft was the only part to increase strength at all. The drum shafts and the input shafts had no gain that was measurable. Mike Kurtz has been tigging and chryoing for years. Ask him what his results have been. I can tell you I have at least 40 of them that have broke chryoed just as easily. I also have the Boeing Aircraft test results. Man, that bill was a tough one to pay:eek: , but worth it in the end as I have all the documentation and testing of both not only our billet parts but the chryo'ed and annealed parts that were sent in to be tested also.
A company that is right next door to me at work makes the equipment and has the chryo process. They even agreed it would not help any more than maybe 25%. After that, new part needed to be made. I could post some of the results from Boeing, however, right now all that paperwork is with the patent attorneys. Once I get it back ( who knows with lawyers) I can post if requested. :D

Bruce
WE4

we dont cryo input shafts or drums ,only the ,. pinions of the planet carriers and output shafts .the drum shaft and input shafts are e4140 and 9310 respectively. also when you use 300m it strips the o/d ring gear and pl;anet carrier .i have seen many posts on this .ultuimately it depends on the material in question and heres something to relish. we have used cryoed 125 front wheel drive carriers in turbo 400 and 2004rs over 700 hp w/out failures ,and w/out cryo we couldnt put 300 hp thru thias part that was never used w/a motor over 175 hp.there is no question it works .maybe not 4 drums or shafts (although i disagree )but for what i have harnessed it 4 i am more than happy w/the results.any further questions may be directed to my friend richard sorel at motor city metals in detroit michigan at 313 842 1847.we have even cryod cast crankshafts rated att 400 hp and put OVER 1000hp thru em.

Cryo & Cyberspace

I have an intense interest in cryoing, I am considering entering the http://enginemasters.com/rules.shtml and have deal-killer strength problems cryoing might help. I talked to Bruce about this long ago, he responsed approximately the same as he did in this string. He is the only individual I have every found with actual empirical test data in over two years of asking. Everyone else just has antidotal information and positions.

I'm in partial agreement with you OK Turbo, there is something there but cryoing verges on vodoo because very little replicative science has been developed. The most relevant--automotive high performance--non-academic source I've found is http://www.metal-wear.com/ The guy in NC does work for the NSCAR teams and there is a paper on the website that pretty much captures what is undisputably known. Academic sources are always suspect until demonstrated in the real world, I to have a BSME but Bruce is a more accomplished engineer than I'll ever be.

Bruce's approach to the forward drum failure appears to be the only legitimate approach I've encountered. However, I try to keep an open mind. I can add to his explanation of why cryoing shows no benefit on the forward drum--cryoing cannot "repair" stress fractures due to cycling--in other words, cryoing only has the potential to improve the STRENGTH of a forward drum that has NEVER been used. Since GM no longer provides new forward drums the only certain way to strenghten them would be to replace the weaked/weak portion with new and better materials. Bruce could probably cryo one of his "remanufactured" forward drums and raise the torque handling capability from 800 foot pounds to over 1000, before it is installed and used.

In theory, I agree with CKP's position that the gears may benefit from cryoing but nothing in the CKP email in this post proves anything, it is just a general statement. My email asked for test data associated with the planets. I suspect that the planets fail at the weld joints which would require a different design and the manufacture of a new part, improvements in the gears alone from cryoing would not avert component failure.

BTW -- I use ceramic coatings on virtually every wear surface in my 200 4Rs, including the planet gears and shafts that are removable. I even coated wear surfaces on Bruce's $400 billet forward drum! I also coat the case with a heat-shedding ceramic and have been using coatings for nearly a decade in my engine rebuilding program. http://techlinecoatings.com/ I've sent Bruce a sample--a coated front plastic spacer, he's skeptical.

Ceramic coatings and cryoing SOME parts may provide benefits, but with Bruce's business the issue is economics--guys will spend $10,000+ dollars on an engine and then start kicking about spending $2500 on a decent trannie to get the power to the ground. IMO, a holisitic approach to the entire drivetrain is required with the engine and balance of the drive train requiring an equal amount of money. I actually spend an equal amount on the engine and trannie.

The only useful thing my request to CKP for more informaiton seemed to generate was insight into his personality. I'll pass on the shop tour, I don't want to get fitted for a pair of concrete shoes.

CKP, this is the reply in my hotmail account files; I guess yours was lost in cyberspace, wherever that is. Never received/saw the one in this post. Please forward it to me as I keep copious records for technical subjects of interest, such as cryoing.

To : eduelist@hotmail.com

Subject : (no subject)

Date : Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:33:11 EST

do you want a front or rear planet ?call us at 718 626 4315.fax your order at the same number. front planet is 225 with cryo ,rear is 280 with cryo gears .

i think you are losing site of what is being discussed here .we are speaking about THE PLANETARY PINIONS not the drum or shaft ,we sell parts that correct this problem.we are speaking about THE OUTPUT SHAFT,not the drum or shaft,we fixed that already,...as far as grafts and charts are concerned they all look nice but in this case we are talking about real world tests in cars that generate hi horsepower something i am very well versed in,and am well known and reaspeced for in ny and the surrounding areas .graphs and charts dont tow the car back to the shop when someones part rated at 400 hp breaks at the 350 hp level .real testing is done in a vehicle the true residence or address if you will of the part in question. and the results are a testimony to what we accomplished and what we didnt in many cases.this is what you wanted to know isnt it?you see the dated email. thatr was the reply. why do you need a copy ?get the point. and as far as getting a view of my personality maybe you should pursue psychiatry instead of cryogenics and metallurgy malaka.in a world of uncertaintanty an in car test is the only thing that proves this .dont take my word for it ask others .and if those who read this would be happier with a graf instead of in car tests let me know and IF YOU HAD ALL THE INFO BEFORE WHY DID YOU ASK THE QUESTION ANY WAY?SOUNDS LIKE YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY UNLESS YOU EQUIPT YOURSELF WITH A CRYO FACILITY THE SKY IS BLUE TAKE MY WORD FOR IT OR JUST ASK ANYONE IM SURE YOULL GET TGHE SAME ANSWER.

Cyro equipment

Actually, I'm thinking seriously of buying cryo equipment. I was sincerely seeking info from you on cryoing and potential improvements to the 200 4R, not flames.

You are the one that has lost sight of what was being discussed, here's the link to the original post that seems to have started this nonesense:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65222&highlight=santa+claus

"steelinput shaft and drum assemblies" your words.

Please note the proximity of the above post's date to your email to me.

Your replies are getting too muddled to understand.

clay you just cant get it strait.for some one with a degree you really are pretty dumb .you got what you asked for and you still aint happy .humble yourself so you dont show everyone how foolish you are. THE LIPS OF A FOOL CAN SWALLOW HIM UP . i am here to help and i cant help you so hold you %^#! and pull it .sorry if you guys think im blunt but us nyers are just a tuff bunch .we always back it up.

Just my humble opinion....

Originally posted by chris718
.....and if you want the parts ******* send me a check happy new year on your island surrounded by ignorance mother f%%%%%%..... clay you just cant get it strait..... you really are pretty dumb ......humble yourself so you dont show everyone how foolish you are. THE LIPS OF A FOOL CAN SWALLOW HIM UP .....so hold you %^#! and pull it .sorry if you guys think im blunt but us nyers are just a tuff bunch .we always back it up.

but if this is what people that ask a serious question can expect to get as a response, I for one don't think it is very helpful or informative, not to mention very customer savvy. :( If Clay is not offend by this, I can say I personally am and feel that this boarders on the line of being slander and threats, which if I'm not mistaken is potenial grounds for getting kicked off this board! :mad: Until now I have not seen this type of bashing on this trans talk board and feel there is no need for it nor the place for it. :confused:

We have the planet and ring gear done..

The spline wear from the billet input shafts "Was" an issue. Now, no more. We Have cured this by 4340 splining The od planet carrier. The ring gear has been laser fused, reinforced ,and they have been tested and are made. I cannot release until the rest of the "legal" paperwork is done. I am waiting till we get moved and the attorney tells me "ok". But they are done, "proven" and again we have the results to back it up. I also have been making reinforced OR drums which crack too. These are available as of this week. We need to update site. I will get Mark on that, LOL:D

Here it is:
http://www.2004rperformancecenter.com/mcartfree/product.asp?intProdID=93

AND BTW ........... I AM A NEW YORKER AND YES I CAN RELATE.....To The tuff bunch part. I am one!

Bruce
WE4

Skunk?

Hey Clay, thought I would paas along some useful advise. My daddy use to say never get in a pissin contest with a skunk. This was not a bbattle of wits cause ckp has none, its a contest of who stinks the most an ckp won!!!!!

I met folks form NY andd I think they would not wannt to be assocciated with this fella, they were nice.

I have had many transmission Items cryoed. Put simply it works. The parts are much stronger and seem to wear less. The forward drums I had cryoed lasted longer than the ones that were not done but the bottom line is the Billet piece is the end of the problem. Dont waste your money cryoing the stock forward drum the gains are minimal. The planets, Direct drum and other go for it as it will make those items stronger. The OD ring gear is a problem cryoed it seems to last longer. This part needs to be made from the ground up and is being made from 4340 and 2 prototypes are having the internal splines cut as we speak. I have been working on this ring gear for 3 months the machine shop just does not move fast enough. I Hope to have these done by summer. The larger problem that some have not seen yet is Rotor failures. I had 20 made in 13 vane of 4340 and they are bullet proof. I will have 4340 rotors avaliable by feb. (with a little luck) Lots of new stuff for the 200 coming in 2003.

200 4R Durability, Cryoing & ?s for quickt

Based on the usable input regarding the benefits of cryoing specific to the 200 4R it appears that the direct drum and the gears and possibly their shafts benefit enough to consider going to the trouble and expense of having the parts treated.

The direct drum makes sense as it wears like a brake rotor, an application blessed with general agreement that benefits exists--seems like the band would benefit also just like brake pads.

Quickt, you said you are fabing 4340 rotors. Have you tried cryoing the stock-material rotors? Also, apparently you've experienced rotor failures--what setup procedures and clearances did you use on the ones that failed?

While the ouput shaft might benefit, it appears that is a part that no one breaks.

If a billet OD planet, input shaft and forward drum are used, what will be the next component that will break and need attention (not including the rotor)?

Re: 200 4R Durability, Cryoing & ?s for quickt

Originally posted by Clay Thompson
Quickt, you said you are fabing 4340 rotors. Have you tried cryoing the stock-material rotors? Also, apparently you've experienced rotor failures--what setup procedures and clearances did you use on the ones that failed?

If a billet OD planet, input shaft and forward drum are used, what will be the next component that will break and need attention (not including the rotor)?

I have not tried to cryo the stock rotors. I parallel deck both halves of the pump. I use forged pump rings and set my clearances to a max of .002. I always use a new slide and wear ring. The problem is not with the setup. We are running main line in the 300 plus range. It appears that the rotors are breaking simply because of the pressure. Could be simply the quick line rise using the large boost valves. With the large boost valves the line pressure will take off like a rocket. IMO you go from say 100 psi to 300 in a blink of an eye and load the rotor. The reason I think that its the snap of pressure is my full manual does not use a TV ciruit. So it operates with full line most all the time. At an idle the line will be say 200-230 so the rotor is loaded already. When you touch the gas RPM comes up it goes to 300 or more. I have never seen a rotor break with this valvebody. I have built many 200s this year that take big HP. The max line psi and rise time are important when you throwing 960hp flywheel at a 2004R.

wow thats alot of pessure .my educated guess would be the rotors break because the stiffer the pr spring the more force that must be generated at the pump rotor before the valve will upshift and allow supply oil into the pump cover .it aint a jolly customer when the rotor breaks and they gotta pay 4 a tow .id like to get a few if i could .i have seen em break when the hub runout is off on the convrtor too.i put a bolt in place of the 2 springs in the pump so max volume is available at all times .this however puts alot of load on the pump.as amatter of fact it is so efficient if you rev the car in park for a min (3000rpm)you can hear the safety pop open in the pump.