Chrome bumpers on a GN?

youngstr

I didn't think you could get Chrome bumpers on an 86 or 87 GN, but thought I'd check ...... there wasn't any way to order the car like that in either year was there?:confused: I know where theres one for sale and the price tells me that the person thinks they have an original stock unmolested GN.....but it has chrome bumpers on it, everything else is the typical black out package that I'm used to seeing. Can anyone clear my confusion up?

Thats what I thought, guess I'll have to go back over and kick the tires a little and see if I can get a peek under the hood and under the body, maybe I can find a few more bargining chips.....thanx :biggrin:

Look under the trunk deck lid for the RPO sticker and take a picture of it if you can. The codes on the sticker will tell you what the car really is, or at least what the car that the deck lid came from was :)

On black 86 T types you would get the chrome bumpers.

87 they made the T package black with chrome bumpers for a few months, then swithched to the we4 that came with the black out package. I think I heard about 200 give or take came with the chrome bumpers in 87.

yes seats look to be standard GN, with power6 logo on the headrests, mats are standard black with no logos, dash has GN logo, and outside of car carries GN intercooled badging, I'll see if I can post a few pics of the car too.
heading over there in a few.

Well, this sounds interesting. People can put any bumpers they want on any car. But on a GN, thats gotta look interesting. Post up some pics. Here is a quick picture of my 87 WE4 that I intentionally put chrome bumpers on.

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 252
Three things come to mind (and that is a lot for a Friday):

1) it IS a GN that someone chose to put chrome bumpers on.
2) it is a clone of a GN that started as a T (RPO code time).
3) it is a GN that was in an accident and doesn't have the original bumper.

Just thinking out loud.

Ok, here's the scoop, I talked to the seller and he has paperwork from the dealer that the car originated from, the dealer installed the bumpers at the original buyers request, and the dealer installed a sunroof. The car is an A title, original 1 owner car. it has 87,000 thousand and some change on it, he started it for me, no clicks no ticks no rattles nothing, sounded very nice. I noticed the paint cracking just behind the small rear windows about level with the bottom of those windows and the paint is shot on the bumper fillers but they are not cracked, could be original. it has all the options and the GM security system with the numbered keypad in the dash. Engine appears very stock with the exception of some chrome upgrades, turbo cover, valve breather, up pipe and maf pipe (pipes stock size, just an upgrade to chrome)

heres some pics including the trunk sticker. He's askin 16,000

87GN1.jpg

87GN2.jpg

87GN3.jpg

87GN4.jpg

didn't know that.....has the GM logo right on the pad., its down there between the steering wheel and the rear defogger switch just right of the steering wheel.:confused:

Logo

He probably just found some stickers to make it look a little nicer. Light covers also have a Buick logo, but were never made by GM......

didn't know that.....has the GM logo right on the pad., its down there between the steering wheel and the rear defogger switch just right of the steering wheel.:confused:

one owner, stock, and moonroof are a great find, but price seems a little high given the mileage and current market.

what kind of shape is the transmission in?

maybe the keypad was another dealer installed option?

Get someone to go over the car with you

This may be a very nice high functioning meticulously cared for car but the $ sounds high to me.

Just something to think about on another note - the dealer installed moonroof may be problematic. OEM GM option is CF5 if I remember right ... so we know its not factory. :frown: Factory parts for moon/astro roof are hard to find, but my guess is parts for a dealer installed set up will be even rarer, so that is something to keep in mind if there are leaks or questions about how well it performs. :( Its kinda like having aftermarket T-tops only not nearly as bad.

Good luck - take your time.

I'm not looking to buy one like this, while the motor sounds great I'm looking for one that I would not feel bad about driving daily, I don't leave mine sit in the garage, I enjoy it daily, just never had that collector disciplin. This one is especially nice on the interior, infact the interior looks almost brand new, the only detectable wear I saw was on the drivers seat, but I do agree that the price is a little high, being that the dealer put the chome on and installed the sunroof, with those miles it might command a better price if those features were factory instead of dealer installs thus making the car a much rarer find. this car would do well to find a paint booth and get a fresh coat, so far the paints the only real fault I could find and I don't really care for the chome bumper, I prefer my GN amish, the interior and engine compartment are very clean, the paint really brings it down, for me at least. If someone else wants to check it out go for it, I'll get ya an address or phone #, or if you need me to get some more pictures just say the word, its sitting about 8 blocks from my house, guy told me that the 1st owned died and his wife just wants to get rid of it, I think he's related and is trying to help her out, so he went onto ebay and looked what the stock colectable ones on there are selling for and that probably explains the price, even though it is a bit high I feel.

If anyone wants anymore info on it, let me know, its close by to me.

On black 86 T types you would get the chrome bumpers.

87 they made the T package black with chrome bumpers for a few months, then swithched to the we4 that came with the black out package. I think I heard about 200 give or take came with the chrome bumpers in 87.

we4turbo, where did you get that number of 200 or so black/chrome T's? I'm interested to find out how many there were myself. Here is a Black/chrome 87 T..;) I have not seen many and would like to find any info out.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5528 [640x480].jpg
    IMG_5528 [640x480].jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 151