Chris Lyons TSO GN runs 8.42 @164mph on Drag Radials at Milan Dragway.

Wow. The video is deceiving with how flat the car launches.

I agree but it definitely felt like a good 60' when I was in the car! I actually think a lot of it is in the tq converter and my car accelerates through the 60' without having to launch as hard, I think we only left with 12psi. We have also played a great deal with cam timing. Right now we can't spool the turbo without the VSC when before we were able to. We'll see as little as 2% slip on the top end with this converter and only 600rpm drops on the the shift:eek: Like we discussed in your suspension thread we also took the wheelie out with the smaller tire and travel limiters. I still think I need to play with the shock settings some for the drag radials, that track was exceptional.

I agree but it definitely felt like a good 60' when I was in the car! I actually think a lot of it is in the tq converter and my car accelerates through the 60' without having to launch as hard, I think we only left with 12psi. We have also played a great deal with cam timing. Right now we can't spool the turbo without the VSC when before we were able to. We'll see as little as 2% slip on the top end with this converter and only 600rpm drops on the the shift:eek: Like we discussed in your suspension thread we also took the wheelie out with the smaller tire and travel limiters. I still think I need to play with the shock settings some for the drag radials, that track was exceptional.
After you said it was a 1.27 60', I went back to the video and could tell it was a good launch by watching how you were thrown back into the seat.:biggrin:

It appears that the VSC is actually used for a very short amount of time. It starts filling again at a certain boost level, or after a certain amount of time?

We use it to just get over the hump. It HAS to be shut off and converter full before you leave the line or you'll get excessive slip as the conv is trying to full back up as the motor is trying to push fluid out. I shut it off by 7 psi and turn it on at 75% TPS and 3500 rpm. I also have a fail safe relay built in to shut it off when the t-brake is released no matter what. I am using the Gen 7 DFI to do all of this.

We use it to just get over the hump. It HAS to be shut off and converter full before you leave the line or you'll get excessive slip as the conv is trying to full back up as the motor is trying to push fluid out. I shut it off by 7 psi and turn it on at 75% TPS and 3500 rpm. I also have a fail safe relay built in to shut it off when the t-brake is released no matter what. I am using the Gen 7 DFI to do all of this.
Judging by the video, the VSC is operating for a little over 3 seconds?

That may be about right. If I foot brake into the first light when I bump in and set the brake the car is at 5000rpm and 12psi almost instantly. If I just roll in and set the VSC 3 seconds sounds about right. Either way its pretty fast, you just can't have it on to long or you will completely empty the converter. I've lost a few races doing that.

Chris. If you are sitting at the starting line and the boost reaches your target level to turn off the VSC, and you're forced to sit at the line waiting for the lights to come down, as the converter is filling back up, does it drag the engine and boost back down? Or, is the boost level sufficient to sustain the target stall speed?

RPM will dip a little bit when the conv starts to fill up but at that point the motor is making so much tq it just keeps trucking and will peg the rev limiter and has enough power to push through the converter. I can usually sit there as long as I want on the rev limiter at 5000 and the boost controller will keep the boost at the target launch boost. Although the boost will creep if I sit there to long since the CO2 is set for full boost and does not control well at the lower launch boost. I have the VSC turn off and the converter completely filled by the time I hit the rev limiter and well before I release the T-brake.

Great 60ft on the DRs! Your suspension appears to be working pretty well.

Must be that block and crank I let you steal from me:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Congrats!

RPM will dip a little bit when the conv starts to fill up but at that point the motor is making so much tq it just keeps trucking and will peg the rev limiter and has enough power to push through the converter. I can usually sit there as long as I want on the rev limiter at 5000 and the boost controller will keep the boost at the target launch boost. Although the boost will creep if I sit there to long since the CO2 is set for full boost and does not control well at the lower launch boost. I have the VSC turn off and the converter completely filled by the time I hit the rev limiter and well before I release the T-brake.
Chris. I just wanted to say, "Thank You" for sharing your tech info and feedback. It is extremely unselfish of you and will most certainly be put to good use. Again, thanks, and I wish you the best of luck in your racing endeavours.

Thanks guys, no problem Donnie. Hope you can put some of it to good use.

Congrats. There was a couple of times I heard it crossing the finish line and from what I could tell it sounded like the old Buick was on a killer pass. Hopefully, you can join us again at the next Milan Friday Night Heads-up race maybe next time we can meet up.

Jeff Jr.

Big congrats Chris. Can you tell me what the name of the vid is on Utube. For some reason I cannot get it on here? Thanks