Chris Chow's WE4 may be retired (accident)

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
Guys and Gals.

Over the weekend Chris's car had an accident at Sacramento Raceway.

I was not there but here is an account taken from Norcal1320.com

WCHRA this weekend at Sac.... - Page 7 - Norcal1320.com

He came out of the hole hard, got out a few hundred feet, went up in smoke, stayed in it, headed for the right lane, turned back left to try to keep it out of the wall, car pitched sideways again, and flopped on its roof........cant believe it flipped over from that but it did......car is beat up but chris looked ok....From what I saw, t-tops and no funny car cage (hoop over your head) makes for a rough ride.... "Psycho Dave from norcal1320.com"

Here is Chris Chow's reply to the thread.

I'm OK guys. It was definitely a ride that I hope never experience again...but that's why we have cages in our cars. It's pretty much exactly as Psycodave explained. Glass everywhere. Initially, I could not get the seatbelt camlocks to release because my weight was on them. All the while, I was watching oil draining out of my dry sump, my helmet scraping on the ground and waiting forever for the car to stop. The motor and drive train are fine, we drove into the garage after we took it off the trailer."chowdog from norcal1320.com"

First of all I am glad that my friend is ok and that is always the most important thing.

Secondly I am heart broken for Chris the original owner of this WE4.
I am sure he will chime in when he gets a chance but I will give you a brief snap shot of this cars's 20 plus year racing history.

-The car runs 13.6 basically factory stock

-He drove the car from California to Bowling Green one year

-With Chris tunning the DFI 10 plus years ago it was driven close to around 75 mile round trip on slicks for street exercises.

-I will never forget seeing him take out a big block chevy on N20 when he still had the production v6 in it

-Duttweiler built him a stage 2 v6 that with baby turbos make more than 1000HP

-The car runs 9.1 @ 149 with a lot left

-We find Bob Rieger's motor for sale and Chris picks it up

-Chris gets the v8 running and wins a couple PSCA Heavy Street events

-2005 Las Vegas Street Car Super Nationals, Chris becomes the first
stock suspension Regal in the 7s with a 7.9 @ 175

Anyway those are a couple of fond memories I have of the car.
If she is not repaired I will really miss her.

Sad news but I'm glad Chris was able to walk away, salvage some parts and start something better. Good luck.

So sorry to hear that. Chris and that car is part of GN history... Glad to hear he is okay!

Most importantly, Chris is ok. I think he did everything he possibly could to save the car but there's only so much you can do. Chris walked away from the accident and is feeling fine. The car however doesn't look so good.

So sorry to hear that. Chris and that car is part of GN history... Glad to hear he is okay!

I agree Shane, how many Automotive enthusiasts did not see the dyno video.
We had the pleasure of being there, it was a really cool experience.

I agree Shane, how many Automotive enthusiasts did not see the dyno video.
We had the pleasure of being there, it was a really cool experience.

'Twas pretty cool. First spin had crap blowing all over the shop from the exhaust shooting out the sides of the fender, including the WBO2 probe! And then the sound when you are 15' away...:eek:

my friend is ok that is the most important thing! i wrecked my car last year. its back and running now better than ever. the we4 has my blood and skin on it someplace still im sure.

Wow, been away the last couple days and just seen this. Very sorry to hear about the car but the important thing is that Chris is okay. Cars can always be fixed/replaced, but people on the other hand can NOT!

That 8 Sec street vid was:eek: :eek: :biggrin:

We would go out on the freeway and test the tune up.
Try to imagine the look on my face as I hold the lap top
and look at the EGT Meter with that thing pushing me into the seat.:eek:

We would go out on the freeway and test the tune up.
Try to imagine the look on my face as I hold the lap top
and look at the EGT Meter with that thing pushing me into the seat.:eek:

Think I would need the Depends!